News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Zulu throwing spear, Isandlwana... with provenance...???

Hi all;

Just another show and tell...and I was hoping some folks can show me that its real, or tell me that its just a reproduction, or something else entirely. Another find from the wealthy estate sale who's owner was a keen Zulu war buff. It appears to be a Zulu throwing spear. Accompanying it was a framed photograph and a short statement of ownership. The man in the photo said it was his father's, and it was used at the battle of Isandlwana. It seems like a far stretch, but the photo shows the exact spear. I hope there are folks who can clarify this object and put it into realistic perspective.

thank you!

Gary

IMG_8062.jpg

IMG_8064.jpg

IMG_8065.jpg

IMG_8068_1.jpg

IMG_8069_1.jpg

IMG_8070.jpg

IMG_8072.jpg

IMG_8075.jpg

IMG_8076.jpg

IMG_8078_1.jpg

IMG_8079.jpg

IMG_8080.jpg

IMG_8082.jpg

IMG_8083.jpg

IMG_8084.jpg

IMG_7913.jpg

IMG_7920.jpg

In my opinion, this is certainly the 'real thing'.  The blade of the spear is attached to the shaft by a section of skin from the tail of a cow.  The tail section is put on when it is 'wet' (i.e. fresh), and it shrinks as it dries and makes a perfect, long-lasting connection. 

As far as I know, this hafting technique has not been used by the Zulus for a very long time.  Although it may not to precisely date the spear in question, I would be happy to have it as 19th Century.

Brett

Hi all; 

Thank you all for your analyses of this spear! I am excited to know that it is the real thing. The former owner had this in his 15,000 sq. ft. estate. Gives me hope that the other items that he had are also authentic. 

Is there any way to tell what kind of value this artifact holds? From my research I assume between  $600-900 USD?

This is a great find then! Since there were no Zulu/British colonial war experts at the sale, and since I was #7 on line to get into the home, I made a beeline for these artifacts and camped out to see if anyone was taking a serious look. Most folks bypassed the entire gallery. My good fortune!

I hope you can look at the other items I have posted as well.

Cheers,

Gary