News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Labour Service Unit helmet

LABOUR SERVICE UNIT - HELMET

During the Berlin Air Lift in 1954, the U.S. Army and Air Force in Europe needed local people to help in running the operation.  The local population employed in Germany eventually led to the establishment of Labour Service Units.  Many stateless people were employed in these LSUs and Polish, Latvian, and other, units were established.  They wore mainly U.S. military uniforms and formed logistics and guard units.  This is a very brief outline of a very complex subject done only to introduce this helmet liner.

These helmet liners were worn by many different Labour Service Units (LSU) and not always with the same emblem on the front. From what I can find on line, the badge on the front of this helmet was worn by the 6941st Labour Service Centre (Guard) (Berlin). Possibly other LSU’s as well. 
    The helmet bears the stamp of the manufacturer on the inside top of the liner. A script F in a shield for the firm of Firestone Tire and Rubber Company. Firestone made these “high pressure” M1 helmet liners from September 1942 until August 1945. The rivets on this liner show wear consistent with the use of the steel helmet worn over the liner.
    Now I can badge up my LSU tunic!

Regards,

Gordon

125hela2.jpg

125hela7.jpg

125hela3.jpg

125hela5.jpg

125hela4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

6941st Guard Battalion has a website: http://www.guardbattalion.de

During my 1963 U.S. Army service in West Berlin, 6941st Guards wore gray uniforms, cut in the style of U.S. Army's short "Ike Jackets," with black U.S. combat boots & helmet liners as shown above.  Here are two photos sent by a former 6941st Guard with whom I'm in regular contact.

6941stGuard-GERMAN-patch.jpg

6941stGuard-Parade.jpg

Edited by Long Thrust VI
    to enhance the URL insert

Long Thrust VI has pointed out some errors in what I wrote above.  I said the Berlin Airlift too place in 1954 which is obviously incorrect.  

He is also correct that the LSUs wore grey uniforms.  What I should have said was that the uniforms the LSU wore were American in style.  At least those in Army service.  Since this thread does not discuss LSU naval units we won't go into their uniforms.

Another location for reference to these units can be found here;

http://www.usarmygermany.com/ext/LaborService/

I would like to thank Long Thrust VI for taking time to email me re the corrections.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig