News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hohenzollern Goldene Ehrenmedaille mit Schwertern

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of purchasing this Hohenzollern Goldene Ehrenmedaille mit Schwertern.

Does anyone know what would cause the inconsistency in finish from front to back?

From the comparisons I have been able to make this piece seems good.

What does everyone think?

All comments gratefully appreciated

HOH Back.JPG

HOH Front.JPG

• 6 years later...

I agree this medal looks convincing and is probably authentic, but I do have to add there's hardly a way to be 100 % sure. It's not much trouble to electroplate a more common silver medal with a gold layer.

Unless they are cheap (or mounted in an authentic NCO group!), I do not touch these anymore. That being said, the "inconsistency in finish from front to back" is actually a good sign for an old gold finish!

:whistle:

Edited by saschaw

13 hours ago, saschaw said:

I agree this medal looks convincing and is probably authentic, but I do have to add there's hardly a way to be 100 % sure. It's not much trouble to electroplate a more common silver medal with a gold layer.

Unless they are cheap (or mounted in an authentic NCO group!), I do not touch these anymore. That being said, the "inconsistency in finish from front to back" is actually a good sign for an old gold finish!

So true Sascha,  it is certainly an easy way to upgrade. for profit.

In the end I did purchased this one as I liked the finish and the price wasn't excessive.

Sorry, Uwe, I wouldn't dare to tell from pictures, if you cannot judge it while having it in hands...

:wacky:

It might be noteworthy however, the swords are always gilt. If the color of your medal and its swords are identical, it should be "gold". If there appears to be more gold on swords than on the medal, it's probably just patina...

Edited by saschaw

12 hours ago, saschaw said:

It might be noteworthy however, the swords are always gilt. If the color of your medal and its swords are identical, it should be "gold". If there appears to be more gold on swords than on the medal, it's probably just patina...

Interesting, I wasn't aware of this! 

3er Schnalle.jpg

Edited by BlackcowboyBS

1 hour ago, speedytop said:

(...) but still it is very hard to say. The color of my medal and its swords are identical.

Then it's probably one of the less common medals in gold. That being said, Nimmergut's OEK price guide seems to be remarkably unrealistic here: The Goldene Ehrenmedaille mit Schwertern is listed at 900.- Euro, which seems way too high, while the Silberne Verdienstmedaille mit Schwertern is supposed to sell in the 75.- Euro range.

Even for Nimmergut's standards, that's very moderate. Twice as much would probably be what they're selling for.

And I'm not even talking about the high risk and too easy execution of manipulation here, because this should, in my eyes, actually not be considered in a price guide which, in theory, lists and values authentic pieces only.

Edited by saschaw