Serbian stamps honour Scots WW1 heroines

Serbian Army captain Flora Sandes was decorated with the Order of Karađorđe's Star with swords! She's was also awarded with the Order of St. Sava and Serbian Red Cross Order.

In 1997 a movie about Flora Sandes was made in Serbia named "Our Englishwoman".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0192353/

PS I posted a list of British recipients of the Karađorđe's Star with Swords here: http://gmic.co.uk/topic/64985-order-of-the-star-of-kara%C3%A4%E2%80%98or%C3%A4%E2%80%98e-with-swords-british-recipients/?page=1

1.thumb.jpeg.41512545472f922c779981b43752.thumb.jpg.61bf9ed72ffa8eab650efa1b1bf2

Edited by paja

Bajina Bašta, last resting place of Evelina Haverfield. She is buried in front of the Church of St Elijah the Prophet (Црква Светог пророка Илије). http://www.bbasta.org.rs/crkva_sv_proroka_ilije.html

A street and a clinic in Bajina Bašta are named after her.

3.jpg.3df2248cdf42b5154798ed6a098e01fe.j4.jpg.2f73bb6f225e6750d63012b4b6656405.j

Second photo found here:http://ljwanderer.livejournal.com/229543.html?thread=1109671

She was awarded with Order of St. Sava and Order of the White Eagle.

Edited by paja

The memorial fountain “Crkvenac” in Mladenovac (Спомен-чесма Црквенац у Младеновцу) was erected in WWI in honor of the women from Scotland who took care of the wounded Serbian soldiers. The memorial fountain, 3.35 x 3.00 x 0.60 meters, has the shape of an arch supported in the front with two columns and a white marble vaulted plaque placed in the centre. The marble plaque is 1.10 x 1.00 meters and contains an inscription both in English and Serbian: “1915 – to the memory of the sanitary mission of Scottish women to Serbia and its founder Dr. Elsie Inglis – erected by the hospital from Mladenovac. Built by the soldiers of the Moravska division under the supervision of the reserve I cl. captain. Bor.”
The memorial fountain is made from concrete, bricks and marble.

01.jpg.177d6b24b3f4fbdb2ade6f6db18c9ef7.

Dedication of the memorial fountain “Crkvenac”, October 1915.

02.thumb.jpg.bf4581bc059afa72ac485396477
03.jpg.07060d8e6e4d2298f3cdf6a903f95fd3.04.jpg.24639237ff4f3563b9351d8d51a56e99.05.jpg.c37dedbd6ce0ecfb17b9aab3d8f7d974.

Brochure in both Serbian and English: crkvenac.pdf

Edited by paja

On the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the death of Dr. Elizabeth Ross, in gratitude and remembrance of members of medical missions who came and "gave their heart forever" to the Serbian people in the time of the Great War.

City of Kragujevac
Red Cross of Kragujevac
British-Serbian Chamber of Commerce
February 14th 2015

elizabet-ros-spomen-ploca.jpg.4c0fad8493