Chris,

for all intents, the same. The Marine-Infanterie was formed from the See-Bataillonen and their reservists. These as opposed to the Matrosen-Infanterie, which which were land deployed naval personnel formed into infantry formations within the Marine-Korps.

Regards

Glenn

Chris,

Marine-Infanterie. Note the See-Bataillonen cyphers and litzen. The Matrosen-Infanterie wore adapted naval uniforms. In the case of SNCOs, also a peaked cap with the Kaiser Cypher and crown. Junior NCOs and ratings wore the sailors peakless cap.

Regards

Glenn

Chris,

One other thing to look for is that enlisted Matrosen Infanterie did not have shoulder straps either on their tunics or overcoats.

Chip

Could you make a close-up of the overcoat front button/s. You don't see naval overcoats that often, so I'm wanting to confirm that they have a subdued (painted?) imperial crown button.

Thanks,

Chip

super photo of the Marine-Infanterie. I've been trying to research these units to learn of their campaigns on the Western Front but there's a dearth of information in English.

image.jpeg

• 7 months later...

The NCO seated in the center is a vizefeldwebwel . his portepee appears just under his left forearm . The Matrosen Bataillone used the same uniform of sailors but in feldgrau , the officers a naval peaked cap in feldgrau , a field grey bluse and breeches . They wear the rank on shoulder boards marine model or on the cuffs ,sometimes both systems . Prince Henry the Kaisers brother , used during the war  the field grey uniform as described with both systems of rank . the uniforms described were standardized in 1915 . The old argentinian Armada apart of the Marines used to have the Marineria de desembarco . roughly translated as landing sailors . Sailors in sailor uniform and with infantry rifle bayonet and harness . 

When the Matrosen Regiments got the feldgrau Bluse, enlisted men did not wear any shoulder straps. Their navy Laufbahn insignia remained on the upper left sleeve. Army style collar insignia. Period photos show both blue and gray backed insignia being worn on the Bluse. I have a couple of gray navy rates, but they are in cotton, not wool, so probably meant for the gray cotton jumper. I don't recall ever seeing a gray wool example.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Here are my patches. Quite hard to find. In the photo, a navy Bluse in the back. Imperial crown buttons on the pockets. Army style collar rank lace and if NCO buttons were worn, they were feldgrau imperial crown with anchor. 

10_29_2.JPEG

10_29_0.JPEG

Photo, Navy Gray Bluse.jpg