News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

PC Dennis Nilsen - The Serial Killer

I was deeply disturbed to learn that the serial killer Dennis Nilsen was once a Police Constable!!! It appears he was stationed at Willesden Green.  Does anyone know what collar number was? I wonder if it was used again?

It also appears that he spent 11 years as a chef in the Army Catering Corps, during this period he deployed to Aden. I have found a picture of him in his police uniform and it would seem that he has one medal ribbon, which I am assuming is the General Service Medal, with the  clasp South Arabia. I wonder what ever happened to it? How creepy would it be to discover you had this one in your collection!!!!

dennis-nilsen-031.jpg

gsm.jpg

Edited by bigjarofwasps

Found this re his collar number "In December 1972 Nilsen enrolled in the Metropolitan Police, hoping to recapture the comradeship he had felt within the army. He was given number Q287, but found police life a poor substitute and was left in his own company for his off duty periods."

In 1965 Q Division was formed for the Wembley area previously divided between T and S Divisions. 

Nilsen was attached, as a cook, to the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders, famous for their exploits in the Crater District of Aden under Col."Mad Mitch" Mitchell. I have seen a photograph of Nilsen wearing a A&SH Glengarry. The medal was sold in London and I have kept a weathered eye out for it since the 70's and to my knowledge it has never appeared. Sadly it could have fallen victim to the trend at the time of jeweller's using GSM's to Corps as replacements by skimming name off and renaming.This was done before reasonable copies were available on the market.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think he was a special constable. If my recollection is correct he was a police war reserve constable. In other words he was not a volunteer he was on the payroll. John Reginald Halliday CHRISTIE

Dave.

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

On 3/4/2016 at 13:12, Craig said:

Don't forget this Special when it comes to infamous old bill

john-reginald-halliday-christie-haulage-clerk-in-the-uniform-of-a-B4YTEM.jpg

Well I didn't know that!!!!!

Just done a bit of digging on the internet and have discovered...

At the beginning of World War II, Christie applied to join the War Reserve Police and was accepted despite his criminal record, as the authorities failed to check his records. He was assigned to the Harrow Road Police Station.   At the end of 1943, Christie resigned as a Special Constable. Shortly after this first murder.  Ruth Fuerst, 21 (August 1943).

He also served in France, during the First World War. I wonder what happened to his medals? 

Edited by bigjarofwasps

Spot on Dave, he was a Paid Police War Reserve and as such not entitled to Special Cons Faithful Service medal. As far as I am aware he is only entitled to a First War Medal and Victory. It is possible he  may  have worn a 14/15 star ribbon when not entitled.(There is certainly more than two medal ribbons on the bar he wears.) He served with the Duke Wellingtons Yorkshire Regiment and was invalided out due to Mustard Gas poisoning. He is/was entitled to a silver wound badge.

17 hours ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

His record card indicates that he joined the PWR on 1st September 1939 and he resigned 28th December 1943. He was posted to "X" Division and attached to station "XD". There is no warrant number or collar number shown.

Dave.

Cheers Dave, maybe it's just as well his collar number & Warrant number aren't shown, just in case they were used again!!! Just out of interest what does "XD" relate to, is that a particular station with X Division?

14 hours ago, Deelibob said:

Spot on Dave, he was a Paid Police War Reserve and as such not entitled to Special Cons Faithful Service medal. As far as I am aware he is only entitled to a First War Medal and Victory. It is possible he  may  have worn a 14/15 star ribbon when not entitled.(There is certainly more than two medal ribbons on the bar he wears.) He served with the Duke Wellingtons Yorkshire Regiment and was invalided out due to Mustard Gas poisoning. He is/was entitled to a silver wound badge.

That was going to be my next question, with regards to a Special Cons LSGC. I wonder if his medals and war badge are know to exist? 

I have been giving this some thought, now putting aside the heinous crimes he committed in the 40's & 50's (and indeed his petty crimes of the 20's), in 1916 he stood up to be counted and served his country during the Great War and was indeed wounded for his efforts. Which leads me my next point, I wonder whether indeed his first victim was in fact his first victim? I'm not saying that everyone who served in the trenches went on to become s serial killer, but I wonder whether he did in point of fact "claim" his first victim in the trenches?  I further wonder what the percentage of soldiers who did serve in the trenches actually killed someone? The final thought that I've considered is, whether in point of fact we are selling him short, could it be that the third medal he appears to be wearing isn't a 1914/15 Star at all, but is in fact the WW2 Defence medal, I'm not sure when the ribbon for this medal was authorised for wear, but could it be a possibility   if the photograph was taken right at the end of his "career" in the police in 1943?

Edited by bigjarofwasps

I have seen a photograph of a relative taken 1943 in which he sports the ribbon of the 1939-45 star.  There was also an article  many years ago regarding medal ribbon collector Lionel Guille (Founder Member of OMRS) and photo of him inspecting WW2 Medal ribbon being manufactured in 1942/43. So it is possible that Christie is wearing the Defence Medal ribbon.

I do not know of serial killers but certainly know of five men who served in WW1 went on to kill and took the nine o'clock walk for their trouble.

The Blazing car Murderer, Travelling Salesman Alfred Rouse, 24th London Regiment, wounded during a bayonet fight at Festubert 1915 and discharged wounded  with a Silver war badge badge 1916. (Suffered terrible nightmares) Entitled to WW1 Trio.

The Crowborough Chicken Farm Murderer, Small holding owner Norman Thorne.  Entitled BWM and Victory (Poss. Named to RNAS)

"The Dandelion Dead"  Murderer,Solicitor Herbert Rowse Armstrong TD MA Entitled to TD,TEM and BWM. Don't think he served overseas. (It may be that the TEM was handed in on his being awarded the TD as some officers did)

Police Killers, Garage Owners Browne and Kennedy who murdered Essex Police Constable  George Gutteridge c. 1927 during the theft of a Morris Cowley motor car. I believe both entitled to Trio's but not confirmed.

I would not doubt there are many more.

Hope of interest.

Peter

OMRS = Orders and Medals Research Society

On 3/11/2016 at 20:13, Deelibob said:

I have seen a photograph of a relative taken 1943 in which he sports the ribbon of the 1939-45 star.  There was also an article  many years ago regarding medal ribbon collector Lionel Guille (Founder Member of OMRS) and photo of him inspecting WW2 Medal ribbon being manufactured in 1942/43. So it is possible that Christie is wearing the Defence Medal ribbon.

I do not know of serial killers but certainly know of five men who served in WW1 went on to kill and took the nine o'clock walk for their trouble.

The Blazing car Murderer, Travelling Salesman Alfred Rouse, 24th London Regiment, wounded during a bayonet fight at Festubert 1915 and discharged wounded  with a Silver war badge badge 1916. (Suffered terrible nightmares) Entitled to WW1 Trio.

The Crowborough Chicken Farm Murderer, Small holding owner Norman Thorne.  Entitled BWM and Victory (Poss. Named to RNAS)

"The Dandelion Dead"  Murderer,Solicitor Herbert Rowse Armstrong TD MA Entitled to TD,TEM and BWM. Don't think he served overseas. (It may be that the TEM was handed in on his being awarded the TD as some officers did)

Police Killers, Garage Owners Browne and Kennedy who murdered Essex Police Constable  George Gutteridge c. 1927 during the theft of a Morris Cowley motor car. I believe both entitled to Trio's but not confirmed.

I would not doubt there are many more.

Hope of interest.

Peter

OMRS = Orders and Medals Research Society

I agree with regards to medal ribbons I have a photograph of a relative wearing the 1939-45 star & Burma ribbons, taken I believe in 1945, in France. Not sure when the Defence medal ribbon was issued for wear mind?

With to the other murders, very interesting reading thank you for sharing it with us. It would certainly be the case with so many men serving in the First World War that some of them would be bad apples, in later life.