News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cuban military belt buckle

Jim Hooper

• 8 months later...

Hello Jim, this belts are definitely Cuban, but soviet made. Some better pics you will find here. Scroll down to "belt". Unfortunately I hadn't a chance to write down the descricption in english and spanish. So it is only in german.This types of belts were produced in the factory for leather goods in Minks (Belorussian Soviet Republic).

Thank you, Riker87-- had I researched a little more diligently before posting the photo, I'd have found the Cuban coat of arms. I spent five months embedded with Koevoet, the South Africa COIN unit that hunted Swapo insurgents on both sides of the Namibia-Angola border. Many of the black and white members wore the plain Soviet buckles taken after contacts.

475.jpg

• 1 year later...
    On 16/10/2016 at 14:17, Riker87 said:

Hello Jim, this belts are definitely Cuban, but soviet made. Some better pics you will find here. Scroll down to "belt". Unfortunately I hadn't a chance to write down the descricption in english and spanish. So it is only in german.This types of belts were produced in the factory for leather goods in Minks (Belorussian Soviet Republic).

If i remember correctly the belt buckles in Batista's era (pre-revolution) were the same:  Cuba coat of arms and nothing more.

Right?

Edited by pride

Many thanks, Pride-- the Cuban buckles were fairly rare and so were grabbed by one of the operators as soon as they were lifted from the cache. I still have a pair of the more common Soviet-style buckles used by Swapo, with nothing on them - no star, no letters, just plain brass. Quite a few of the Ovambo trackers wore them as trophies - as did a few of the whites. Even more prized were the tan Soviet bush hats, which were rarely issued to the insurgents.

• 1 year later...
    On 02/06/2019 at 21:50, cuba1959 said:

Model from 1957/58

24C1B60A-C4FD-4D21-9A39-49F1D96F93DD.jpeg

I have to correct you. Such belts are soviet made and they are typical for 1970's and 1980's. You can find them on russian auction sites. Here a description with pictures from my collection.

• 1 month later...
    • 4 weeks later...