News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

100 years ago, Battle of Verdun began

Hello readers.

On February 21, 1916 the German Army began what would be called the Battle of Verdun.

The German news magazine "Der Spiegel" already had several articles devoted to this sad event in both France's and Germany's history.

It also reported that another historic meeting is planned this coming May on the battlefield between the German chancellor Angela Merkel and the French president Hollande. It may be recalled that the previous one took place between then chancellor Kohl and then president Mitterrand.

This writer's family lost one member there who died of wounds as was earlier posted, namely Leutnant Johannes Holst.

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst

• 5 months later...
    On 2/21/2016 at 05:49, Chris Boonzaier said:

Here is the diary of an officer who was there from day one.....

http://kaiserscross.com/136501/424001.html

Chris;

Could you say a bit more about the provenance of the diary, or to put it a bit differently, could you aid me with a suggested source citation? Were the diaries found somewhere, so that the author was not known? (Usually a diary might come thru the family and therefore the author is known.) I read thru it and found a few mentions of topics that I have interest in and wish to enter the data points into my timelines. 

Thanks for bringing the interesting account to our attention.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Try as I could, it was not possible to pinppoint a name. They were just 4 pocket diaries that had probably been tossed out of a group, sold online as "4 war diaries". Maybe with the Regt History it would have been possible to narrow them down,

Best

Chris

Chris;

Are you suggesting that you have them? I just want to concoct a suitable formal bibliographical citation. Perhaps: "Lieutenant, RIR 16, Personal war diaries. As posted online at ?????."

I agree, with a lot of "elbow grease" one might be able to figure out who he was, using a variety of sources, of course including a regimental history if one was written. I for one don't have the time to do so.

Bob

Hi Bob

I indeed Had them for a number of years, but moved them on a few months ago, after Uwe had helped with the writing and I had the translation done, they gathered dust for a number of years and I was able to find someone who would treasure them more than I was doing.

Best

Chris