My nicest medal bar comes with a story.... (Don't they all?)

When I was very active collecting, I would shop anywhere and everywhere. A friend of mine said "Why do you patronize so and so, they are crooks?"
My response never waivered "well, even a bad dealer/auctioneer makes a mistake now and then".

One day, perusing a "bad" auction site, I spotted a ribbon bar for about $100.00 I knew it was a scarce bar, I knew it was a good bar, so I bought it.

I brought it to my friend, who with trembling hands and a shaking voice asked "where did you get this?"

So I told him and he was besides himself. He then proceeded to whip out the MATCHING medal bar and say "Do you know how long I have chased this group?"

I said no, of course.

He then proceeded to tell me how years ago another auction site broke a group and sold the bar, the ribbon bar and the documents all in separate lots. He even knew the name of the recipient (I don't remember and I believe his notes are gone in one of many computer crashes)

In any event, we worked out a trade for some Saxon cases he had and the bar and ribbon bar were re-united.

Now the set lives with me as he has moved on to greater pursuits in heaven.

Does anyone know the name of this recipient?

Does anyone know where these documents are?

I have this problem you see, I like to reunite groups.....

RickBar1.jpg

What a beautiful bar and hopefully a name will reappear, its a shame when the groups get split up, but it feels so much better when they get re-united :) I wish you the best of luck on your research journey :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Blog Comments

• Sounds great other than the Orange & Mango squash only because I prefer cran-pomegranate juice.
    • "(...) disgusting herbal concoction (...)" I took note of this description, to enrich my otherwise limited, English "Wortschatz"...
    • At work the standard indian tea such as PG tips is referred to as chimp tea. This goes back to the days when we had a Spanish girl working for us whose command of the English language was extremely limited. One lunch she said she was going to the shop could she get anything. I asked if she could get a pack of tea bags. She returned with some disgusting herbal concoction. I tried to explain what was required but without success. I then remembered PG tips had a picture of a chimpanzee on the packe
    • When I read Lapsang Souchong i decided to post something about these Tea . Many years ago I dont  know about Lapsang until I read James Michener book Centennial and the description of the savour of the Lapasang as a mix of tar and salt & smoked made me proof . It was exact ! and i liked it since then .
    • I have been known to drink Lapsang Souchong and Tea, Earl Grey, Hot... both "without pollutants". I normally have one mug of coffee in the morning, then spend the rest of the day drinking Orange & Mango squash (by the pint). Then evening comes and it's a pint, followed by red wine with dinner and sometimes a drop of Laphroaig afterwards.