News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW2 Soviet Generals Insignia

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

Front and back sides of service uniform boards.

First up, a rather unusual Air Force Major General, with the branch color only as piping rather than full underlay. Note the "11 Republics" (wreath scrolls 5 left, 1 bottom, 35 right):

[attachmentid=1367]

Guest Rick Research

Just to confuse everything, technical branch Generals (signals, engineers, etc) at lower levels did not display any specific branch insignia...

and for "reasons" one can only wonder at, contrary to the service branch colors of lower officers, were assigned the underlay color used by INFANTRY officers! rolleyes.gif

Here is a Major General of a technical branch:

Guest Rick Research

A Major General of artillery. The branch device could have been bullion, but for this period mainly seem to have been metal. Branch devices and stars should be in "opposite" colors to the metallic board braid, but weak finishes on Soviet branch insignia often evaporate off to the base metal.

Guest Rick Research

Can't show the back of this since these are on a tunic and I never remove the "shoelace" ties for the buttons.

A Major General of State Security-- the blueberry blue visible as edges on this white summer tunic have turned a sort of charcoal gray color, but remain deep blue and unfaded underneath.

Guest Rick Research

Another one on a tunic. A civil police ("Militia") Major General ("Commissar Third Rank") of the shortlived 1943-47 pattern.

For these five years, civil police wore navy blue uniforms with air force blue (robin's egg/turquoise) piping.

Civil police generals wore silver braid rather than gold-- rather like military officials' "reversed colors."

• 1 year later...
    Guest Rick Research

Oddly enough, generals were always easier to come by in "the good old days" than officers. After all, a generic Major General is... a generic Major General...

but try finding a major or a Lieutenant Colonel or any specific rank of some branch like electrical-engineering or whatever.

The only fake general boards I have seen are modern M1969+ types with the slanted upper "4th side" hacked off to make a "6 sided" board-- but those are immediately obvious since they have gold stars on gold boards.

I really love the Artillery boards, but i guess, they are hard to find, as yours are the only one, i have seen so far.

You find the later pattern all the time on ebay, but you never see wartime boards anymore. Even the top online dealer can?t offer them anymore. Or i don?t know, where exactly to look for them. Anyone has a link or two? :)

I really love the Artillery boards, but i guess, they are hard to find, as yours are the only one, i have seen so far.

You find the later pattern all the time on ebay, but you never see wartime boards anymore. Even the top online dealer can?t offer them anymore. Or i don?t know, where exactly to look for them. Anyone has a link or two? :)

Try www.sovietgenerals.com

Dave :rolleyes: