News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Turkish award

larsb001

When visiting a museum some years ago, think it was in Paris, I saw a painting of a man wearing a group of decorations with a Turkish award unknown to me. I did made some effort trying to figure out what is was with all the online ressources I could find - but failed. For some strange reason I only took this photo and not the full picture,

Turkish-04.thumb.jpg.d5d756d3e303eecb175

Now I have bought this little group, and what I believe must be an Turkish award resembles the one on the painting although it seems to be inverted.

Turkish-01.thumb.jpg.c09c223f45abee2423d

Again I have failed to find out what it is. The Order of Saint Louis is not a miniature, but seems to be a "reduction" beeing 25 mm wide and is worn from a combined ribbon where the Turkish ribbon appears as well.

The Turkish award is 20 *33 mm. Now I have the following questions:

1. What is it I have here?

2. Given the size, is it a full size award, a "reduction" or a miniature?

3. Is this the same decoration as on the painting, a different class or ...? The painter could have inverted it by mistake? If not, what is the person on the painting wearing?

Regards, Lars

Now some closeup photos:

Turkish-02.thumb.jpg.71d8981c75b19fd8254

Turkish-03.thumb.jpg.c362fe2e3b33dce2346

Edited by larsb001

Congratulations!  You have a beautiful Ottoman Order of the Crescent, apparently a reduction or miniature.  Various websites, as well as several print references, describe this award instituted in 1799.  Reductions may show variation from original designs.

Thank you for the clarification. I had been looking at the Order of the Cresent, but those presented would all be GC Stars like the one Nelson received and that confused me. Although expensive I'm happy with this new reduction/miniature.

Would anybody know the size of the full size award for comparison?

Thanks, Lars

Hello Demir. Thank you for your comments and recipients list. Although it came from a named British estate I don't thing it can be traced back. The ribbons suggests it's a French recipient and It's probably impossible to figure out when and how it ended up in Britain. But interesting to see the limited number of recipients.