News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Anyone Collect Czech Legion in Russia?

I have embarked on an interesting journey of collecting items from the Czech Legion in Russia, that was there from 1918-1920. I haven't discovered many references out there about it at all, or any other collectors, other than a few random ones that outbid me on eBay. :cheeky: I'm looking for any type of references or good books out there on the subject, either in English, Czech or Russian. Any help is appreciated!

Dave

Guest Rick Research

Good luck!

My entire offering--

The End of the Trail

[attachmentid=31749]

weary Legionnaires on the rocky shores of the Pacific, with a famous monastery (the name of which currently eludes me) on a rocky ... rock ... off of Vladivostok.

Dave,

Could you be a bit more specific on what kind of reference books you are looking. On my recent trip to Prague I did pick up some works that also contains info on the Legion http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=688&pid=61361&st=20 . However I such easily be able to come up with some additional titles if I just knew a bit more what you are looking for.

Kind Regards

Steen Ammentorp

The generals of World WarII

• 11 years later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    On 1/13/2018 at 19:47, nickstrenk said:

The book Czechoslovak Legions in Russia.

A lot of photos and reading.

450xNx5v.png.pagespeed.ic.6dYnIWLGsg.jpg

Very interesting to see this person is wearing Serbian "Miloš Obilić" Bravery Medal.

12 hours ago, paja said:

Very interesting to see this person is wearing Serbian "Miloš Obilić" Bravery Medal.

Many Czech citizens worked in Serbia before the WW1 .The 1st Czech Military unit was organised in Pozharevac.In 1915 Serbian politians organised units  from Czech captives in Russian concentration camps.More than 1000 captives enterred the Serbian Army under commanding Colonel Stefan Hadzic and Russian General Zaionchkovskii.First they fought near Donrudja,later near Solun,but after defeating the Serbian Army these Serbian legionnaries left for  France,Italy or back to Russia.Many of them were bestowed the Obilich Medals.

Look at  the link-General František Melichar,e.g.

I've read that a certain number of Czechs and Slovaks joined the First Serbian Volunteer Division. The subject of foreign recipients of Serbian decorations has always been interesting to me, I have photos of around a dozen Czechoslovakian officers and generals wearing them. The person in question should be Bednář František, where did I stumble upon his photo before god only knows. 
    Many Czechoslovakian citizens were also awarded in the interwar period because of the Little Entente and generally good and friendly relations between the states.

Don't mention it, I think I found it HERE.

Thanks to Google Translate:

mjr. Robert Vobrátilek
    Commander of the 4th Regiment. For the fight in Dobruja he was awarded the Serbian Silver Medal of Bravery. In April 1917 he was nominated for the Order of St. Stanislav with swords and the ban, which, as a result of the collapse of the Russian army, has not been confirmed. For Zborov he received RSvVl4 with swords and banter and KsvJ4 for officers (which he wore without belonging to the branch). The British Military Cross (MC) was granted him on August 9, 1919 "for excellent service in the Czechoslovakian military".