News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown medal on Swedish bar. Danish?

Hi

I got this medal bar recently. The only medal I'm having problem ID-ing is number three. I think it could be danish as the silver mark looks like those of A. Dragsted in Copenhagen. But I would like to know what it is. Anyone?

Kim

band.jpg

The text is: ACTUOSA / PROVOLO. So probably something to do with aminal protection like the last Swedish medal.

Would you agree with the stamp looking Danish Michael? Swedish silver stamps doesn't look like this.

/Kim

Yes, it does look like Dragsted's silver stamp and a little Googling of the motto lead me to an article mentioning that "Actuosa Provolo" was the motto for Danish "Fugleværneforeningen Svalen" (bird protection association "The Swallow").

So Danish it seems to be, but I'm a bit surprised to see it mounted as an 'official' medal.

/Mike

A little gooling didn't get me anything. But having a good forum with knowledable collectors did. :)

It must be something like a "well done"-medal for the society then?  The order of Vasa is only pined to this with a separate safty pin. So I doubt it has relevance to the other medals, but until I'm certain I keep it there. The other medals are:

* Blue Star gold medal of merit. The Blue star used to be, until 1975, the organisation that helped the armed forces with their horses. Today they have training for animal care.

* City of Borås medal, for municipal workers

* Svalen-medal

* Swedish women's society for the protection of animals

So I think this is a medal bar for someone to use in a eviroment with a strong interest in animal care. The Danish cross fits in perfectly in that context. The fact that she shouldn't wear it on her uniform at Blue star probably meant less.

Mange Takk Michael!

/Kim

Yes, "well done" will probably fit :)

You know more about this than me, but I have always been a bit surprised of how many (very) unofficial medals are allowed to be worn on Swedish medal bars (not talking about the one in question).
    I have often seen high ranking Swedish officers with medal bars with 12-14 medals, of which half were for Automobile clubs, Yacht clubs, Shooting associations etc.

/Michael

How to wear Swedish medals/orders is regulated only if you are at the royal court or in the military. All other civilians are not bound by rules but rather to practice, what is OK takes a lot from military wear though.

When it comes to military medal bars they are not that often with "pure" unofficial civilian awards. Most are usually organizations connected to the military as volunteer groups. But there is a list on what you can and cannot wear on uniform. On this list there are many semi-official medals that have been granted the use of the king's profile. This is a group with 45 awarding organizations (2015). The next group is the unofficial medals (not royal or state), a long one with plenty of local military medals and others.

Here's a link with uniform regulations, on page 613 the medal section starts. All in Swedish. Uniform regulation 2015.

This being said there is always that guy who wants to show of all his medals and regulations be damned. I think the germans call this "ordenshunger". :)

/Kim