News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sanish medals of the Independance war.

augustin1813

Thank you, both.

Jeff, Spinks have already given me the run of their catalogues (kind souls that they are), so that's OK. And of course I ask, it's only polite... and I teach ethics to computing students, so I need to get my own use of intellectual property right, don't I?

Augustin1813 - hope you think my website is a 'good cause'! Would you like to let me know your real name for the acknowlegements (by PM if preferred)?

Edited by Megan

• 5 years later...

<Blows dust off topic>

In the past month or so I have finally turned my eye to these early Spanish awards. Please have a look at my site if that interests you... I can post some here with additional information should you wish.

Yes, thank you, Megan.

I am looking at the new images in your site.

There may be at least 180 pieces, distributed in 66 crosses, 24 medals, 86 shields of distinction —or of honor— and 4 with other names. These totals do not include those of the British, Portuguese or other states such as Brunswick or Hannover.

Image of the book

Historia de las Órdenes de Caballería y de las Condecoraciones Españolas. Madrid. Ed. José Gil Dorregaray, 1865

imagen.thumb.png.04e727c4a2f8fc89990d05b943a78781.png

I've not caught everything yet by a long chalk!

The reference books I am using are:

Noticia de las Órdens de Caballería de España, Cruces et Medallas de Dístinction, Madrid 1815.

Dueñas. J.V. (1843) Coleccion de cruces y medallas de distincion de España. Madrid, Yenes.

Gillingham, H.E. (1926) Spanish Orders of Chivalry and Decorations of Honour Numismatic Notes and Monographs #31. New York, American Numismatic Society.

The first 2 I found in Google books, the third is on the American Numismatic Society's website.

I've also been using the relevant chapter from Barac, B. (2016) Reference Catalogue Orders, Medals and Decorations of the World: Part 1V Gold Book (P-Z). OBOL, Zagreb.

So now I have to find the book you've referenced, Antonio! As you can see, my Spanish is getting a good work-out.

As well as the website, I am compiling everything in a document which I'll share as a PDF someday... It's all made for an excellent Christmas break!

(and Google books works its magic again!)

• 2 months later...

Well, time has passed and I've ploughed my way through all the medals that I can find. Tney are on my website and here, as promised, is a PDF with more information (where I have it).

This is the style I intend, over time, to use for everything - this just happens to be the very first one that is (sort of) ready to meet the light of day. I'd appreciate comments on how to improve - as well, of course, any images or information that I haven't found yet!

Spanish Medals of the War of Independence.pdf