News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1920s uniform to ID (Syrian infantry batallion?)

Dear gentlemen, I'm not sure whether this thread is correct one to post this photo to but I'm a bit confused searching for the appropriate one...

Here's a fragment of a studio photo showing a Russian emigre who fled Bolshevist Russia after 1917 revolution and joined some overseas colonial army. His last rank with the Russian Imperial army was Sergeant Major (Feldwebel). Is it possible to say anyhting about the uniform he wears, rank and decorations he sports? PLease note white rectangular stripe worn on the left sleeve.

I've been told once that he served with a Syrain Infantry batallion from Levant special forces troops, but I'm not sure whether that guess is correct.

Photo1.jpg

Photo.jpg

Photo2.jpg

Many thanks, Larry! It might be the right guess!

Colour plates suit insignia well, but we don't see any cipher just above the crescent.

By the way, French collectors gave me a hint that the person on photo could be from a certain unit of tirailleurs algériens stationed somewhere in the North Africa. At least the crescent he wears corresponds to insignia worn by the latter. Please find attached photos of original crescents from the web. But the problem is that he should have attached cipher denoting batallion...

111.jpg

Capture.JPG

I notice that both the original photo and the latest one feature 7 button tunics, not the 5 button style shown in the Turkish plate.

The empty crecent might be either a function of rank, perhaps, or because of the unit he was a member of.  Did all battalions / units wear a distinguishing numeral?

The question and photo may need to be posted in the French Forum as he is a French soldier. The first photo appears to be a S/Lt in a French Colonial army IMO.

• 2 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

He is certainly wearing a French uniform and French insignia.

He could be a second lieutenant, or adjudant or adjudant-chef, depending on the colour or his rank insignia.

He seems to be wearing a "fourragère" in the colours of the Légion d'Honneur.

Badges in post ID:8 are regimental badges and are never worn on the collar. 

Regards