On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 11:29, Odulf said:

Another interesting portrait, with information.

We see a Maschinen-Obermaat of the 1. Komp. Marine-Stabsabteilung Festungskommandantur LS Gotenhafen [1st Coy Navy Staff Unit of the Garrison Administration Gotenhafen - presenty named Gdynia], the photo is dated 5 April 1940. Interesting to note the crossed anchors below the letter "O" (for "Ostsee"), the early style cap with woven roundel and oak leaves. Also interesting to see his ribbon bar, which denotes that he is from Austria, with 2 medals for bravery in the Great War.

KM_-_342x-_Msch_Ob_Mt.Karl_Jacob_Mar._Stabssbt,_Fest.Kmdtr.Gotenhfn_.jpg

Hi Edgar,

Your photo is a stunner!

Cheers,Morten.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very nice combination. Cheers, Larry  

What an amazing thread that I didn, t see until Morten told me and so here is my small contribution to this KA thread 😢

+1,   Cheers,Morten.

Posted Images

On 11/01/2019 at 16:30, Paul R said:

A large number of these men seem to be much older than their Heer counterparts.

Indeed Paul, you will see the same thing in the medical area - the medics are often older models..I have a few SB and WP from medics born in 1899 and 1907 as a couple of examples.

Edited by Hans Kristian
On 12/08/2018 at 15:35, Odulf said:

When I read the information about the "K", both on the internet and in my books, I would consider it safe to conclude that it is assumed to be "Kanal" based troops, but this is not (yet) supported by any Kriegsmarine regulation or official order.

On further notice, I agree with Slicht & Angolia, that the "K" Schulterklappe is probably dating from the Reichsmarine.

"Kanal" seems odd to me, because the Germans did not get to the Kanal before June 1940, and by then all tactical information (Roman numbers and letters) had been removed from the Naval Schulterklappen for reasons of security. So why add tactical information when a year before all these characters were removed?

The "K" from the Reichsmarine would indicate "Küste", this could be Küstenverteidigung or Küstenartillerieschule. The Schulterklappe could have been worn in the early days of the Kriegsmarine, but fact is, that it does not show up in any KM regulation (so far).

So, my educated guess would be, as the "K" is visible only on one person, that he is a reservist wearing his old Schulterklappe. I know nothing about large or smaller "K".

11 hours ago, Odulf said:

On further notice, I agree with Slicht & Angolia, that the "K" Schulterklappe is probably dating from the Reichsmarine.

"Kanal" seems odd to me, because the Germans did not get to the Kanal before June 1940, and by then all tactical information (Roman numbers and letters) had been removed from the Naval Schulterklappen for reasons of security. So why add tactical information when a year before all these characters were removed?

The "K" from the Reichsmarine would indicate "Küste", this could be Küstenverteidigung or Küstenartillerieschule. The Schulterklappe could have been worn in the early days of the Kriegsmarine, but fact is, that it does not show up in any KM regulation (so far).

So, my educated guess would be, as the "K" is visible only on one person, that he is a reservist wearing his old Schulterklappe. I know nothing about large or smaller "K".

Hi Odulf,

This is VERY Informative,thanks for Your work!

Cheers,Morten.

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Odulf said:

Another set of shoulderboards: VI. Marine-Artillerie-Abteilung [6th Naval (Coastal) Artillery Battalion], stationed in Emden. This type of shoulder boards were used until 26-08-1939.

MAA VI x.jpg

Very Nice My friend,Congrats and Thanks for sharing with us!

Cheers,Morten.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Ver nice and not often seen Morten, a Fähnrich (MA) [Ensign Naval Artillery], proudly wearing his HJ-Leistungsabzeichen and HJ membership pin. On the sleeve, it is visible that the previously worn branch patch was removed, stitches are still visible.

On 16/05/2020 at 02:54, LarryT said:

From my collection.

grey.jpg

Very nice Larry and thanks for sharing, these yellow/red Laufbahn- und Sonderausbildungsabzeichen on fieldgrey material patches are hard to find. On photos they are even harder to find, thank you for bringing this under our attention. However,, I have some remarks: 

- The fieldgrey patches, as issued on blue for POs (Unterführer ohne Portepee) and lower ranks, we have/see are mainly as worn by the Artilley branch;

- In the Reichsmarine the patches were allowed, but in the Kriegsmarine, the wearing of these insignia was strictly forbidden; which could indicate that they are Reichsmarine. However some of the insignia used date from the KM period.

- The Sonderausbildungsabzeichen (red on fieldgrey) have been on the market for long. the Laufbahnabzeichen (yellow on fieldgrey) appear to be around for shorter time (after my asking around amongst very long time collectors).

Without expressing opinions about the originality (I have to do more research into an unresearched field) I am only stating that this field is yet another field for research, the only sources I have are are Schlicht & Zienert, and ancient men now vanished.

So, a matter worth researching together...

17 hours ago, Odulf said:

Very nice Larry and thanks for sharing, these yellow/red Laufbahn- und Sonderausbildungsabzeichen on fieldgrey material patches are hard to find. On photos they are even harder to find, thank you for bringing this under our attention. However,, I have some remarks: 

- The fieldgrey patches, as issued on blue for POs (Unterführer ohne Portepee) and lower ranks, we have/see are mainly as worn by the Artilley branch;

- In the Reichsmarine the patches were allowed, but in the Kriegsmarine, the wearing of these insignia was strictly forbidden; which could indicate that they are Reichsmarine. However some of the insignia used date from the KM period.

- The Sonderausbildungsabzeichen (red on fieldgrey) have been on the market for long. the Laufbahnabzeichen (yellow on fieldgrey) appear to be around for shorter time (after my asking around amongst very long time collectors).

Without expressing opinions about the originality (I have to do more research into an unresearched field) I am only stating that this field is yet another field for research, the only sources I have are are Schlicht & Zienert, and ancient men now vanished.

So, a matter worth researching together...

Thanks for your input and I totally agree that more research is needed on the yellow on feldgrey laufbahnabzeichen.  Photos of these in wear would be nice but I haven't seen any. The only reference material I have about the yellow on grey patches is Angolia & Schlicht's Die Kriegsmarine - Uniforms & Traditions vol. 3, pages 36-38.

Cheers,

Larry