News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

21 minutes ago, nesredep said:

Hello Odulf,

Interesting photo and information.Here is a same photo from my collection!

Best,Morten.

img022h5u.jpg

img021.jpg

That's an interesting little photo Morten, a WW1 veteran, in the Navy uniform, with an Infantry Assault Badge. Not very common, and it makes me wonder what story is behind this picture. And also without device on the shoulder loops. 

Edited by Odulf

Well, if it is the Engine branch, it is rare and (to my idea) unpresidented as the obvious reference books do not mention it. The only thing that springs to mind with me is possibly a Fähnrich of the Engine branch. Intreagueing!

Edited by Odulf

19 hours ago, Odulf said:

Well, if it is the Engine branch, it is rare and (to my idea) unpresidented as the obvious reference books do not mention it. The only thing that springs to mind with me is possibly a Fähnrich of the Engine branch. Intreagueing!

A closer view but very blurry.

Cheers,

Larry

rr.jpg

On 31/10/2020 at 18:12, Luftsport said:

Coastal Artillery but blank black shoulderboards? I assume its the lowest rank?

Photo_1579187892724.jpg

Hello,

I have a similar photo in my collection showing Dark Green Shoulder boards.

best,Morten.

Hello,

Here is the photo sharing Dark Green Shoulderboard in wear

img023coll.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A pleasant meeting/fare well scene with beer at the train station in the war years.

The WW1 veteran Hauptgefreiter (right) is wearing a new field grey uniform with the ribbons of the Iron Cross 2nd Class (1914) & Hindenburg Cross, and the seldom seen in wear Verwundeten-Abzeichen (Wound Badge) of the German Imperial Navy (instituted June 1918). Between them, a greenish Kleidersack/Sesack (kit bag), on top not a cel phone but a wooden label holding details of the owner.

The Gefreiter (left) is wearing a very short blue Überzieher (Jacket), when issued the lower seam would be at the length of the sleeve, but it was fashionable to shorten the lower seam (and alter the side pockets).

KM - 355x.jpg

• 1 month later...

A nice studio portrait of a KM Gefreiter, but... the photographer took this picture in Brest (France) in 1943 and the shoulder loops (Schiffsstammabteilung der Nordsee) became obsolete in September 1939.

Another example of old insignia being worn long after they were oficially expired.

KM - 354bx.jpg

KM - 354ax - Gefreiter (der Nordsee) (1943, Brest).jpg

Edited by Odulf

On 08/04/2021 at 23:37, Odulf said:

A nice studio portrait of a KM Gefreiter, but... the photographer took this picture in Brest (France) in 1943 and the shoulder loops (Schiffsstammabteilung der Nordsee) became obsolete in September 1939.

Another example of old insignia being worn long after they were oficially expired.

KM - 354bx.jpg

KM - 354ax - Gefreiter (der Nordsee) (1943, Brest).jpg

Nice photo. This is why photos are so important. They show that regulations were not always followed regarding uniform insignia.

Cheers,

Larry

Edited by LarryT

Thanks for the comments Odulf and Morten.:)

Here is a high-ranking KM Beamte official with the rank of Korvettenkapitan.

The patch on his lower arm shows that he was a High Grade career Technical official.

Cheers,

Larry

tech.jpg

Good show Larry! Crystal clear picture of a Technischer Beamter auf Kriegsdauer (a.K.) [for the duration of war], this category was to be distinguished by the silver cord border surrounding the branch badge on the lower sleeves.

KM - 000.jpg

Edited by Odulf

17 hours ago, Odulf said:

Good show Larry! Crystal clear picture of a Technischer Beamter auf Kriegsdauer (a.K.) [for the duration of war], this category was to be distinguished by the silver cord border surrounding the branch badge on the lower sleeves.

KM - 000.jpg

Thanks Odulf for the additional information, especially the information about the silver cord border.

Cheers,

Larry

• 1 month later...