News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

On parade and on leave the Soldiers of the Marine-Artillerie-Abteilungen and Schiffsstammabteitungen had to wear their blue uniforms, for duty in barracks and as field dress they had the grey-green uniform. So their lockers were filled with both grey-gree nand blue clothing. 

A post 1939 "Hemden-Mützen" or "Budenzauber" picture, appearently in private quarters, of Kriegsmarine room mates mixing both items of clothing in a play for camera (these are snap shots to be found in any private photo album.)

Budenzauber x.jpg

Very nice photo. and information Odulf. As you said many photo albums have this type of photo.

Here is a photo of Kapitan zur See Hans-Paul Leithauser paying his respects at a memorial.

Note the grey uniforms of the honor guard. The memorial is unknown to me. Does anyone know its location.

img639.jpg

img640.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not many portraits around of MAA Officers wearing the field grey uniform, but I picked up this very nice and crisp studio photo of a Korvettenkapitän, signed "Hannsel (pet name for Johannes / Hans) Helgoland 1941/1942". At first sight his picture could be mistaken for another Army officer, but the buttons show anchors and the breast and cap eagles are gold, as are the Navy style laurels surrounding the cockarde at the front of his cap. The chin strap of silver as are the officer's style collarpatches. On the major style shoulder boards the flaming granade in yellow metal.

The photographer had his shop in Nordseebad Borkum. I wonder if he can be identified.

KM - 361x - Kkpt MAA (Helgoland 1941-42).jpg

Edited by Odulf

On 06/06/2021 at 11:22, LarryT said:

Very nice photo. and information Odulf. As you said many photo albums have this type of photo.

Here is a photo of Kapitan zur See Hans-Paul Leithauser paying his respects at a memorial.

Note the grey uniforms of the honor guard. The memorial is unknown to me. Does anyone know its location.

img639.jpg

img640.jpg

The monument is in Hanko, in Finland. To commemorate the German support in the Finish Civil War (1918)

• 4 months later...
    On 13/08/2020 at 17:49, Odulf said:

Interesting photo Larry, do you have more info about what we see (location, unit, year)?

I believe photo was taken at Carlshöhe (Eckenförde).

Edited by LarryT

• 2 years later...