News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French 1896 Cavalry Officer's sword.

Just to balance my collection, I added a private purchase 1896 Cavalry Officer's sword - probably from c.1910.

The French government decided to make another attempt to design an acceptable sword with the design of the M1896 cavalry sword. This straight bladed sword was designed for both heavy and light cavalry, the only difference being the length of the blade: 950mm for the heavy cavalry troopers and 900mm for the light cavalry. The full basket five bars brass hilt had two sidebars symmetrically arranged each side of the knuckle bow. The design of the hilt ornamentation was entrusted to the sculptor Jean Alexandre Falguière, professor at the School of Fine Arts of Paris, and there is no doubt the embellishment of the French Model 1896 cavalry officer’s sword was largely influenced by the Art Nouveau style. Falguière arranged intricate flowing curves and botanical forms in abstract patterns symmetrically arrayed around the guard. The grip was made of black buffalo horn.

Many officers remained faithful to the M1854 Dragoon's officer's sword and M1822 Light Cavalry officer's sword which were still regulation patterns. However, light cavalry officers who favoured the thrust, or officers who simply wanted to keep up with fashion, purchased the new sword M1896 directly from Châtellerault or from private sword makers.

Following the regulation, all the officers' service blades, even those assembled by private cutlers, should have been manufactured and controlled in the government's factory of Châtellerault from where they were available in three sizes:

1st size (1re Taille) = 95 cm

2nd size (2me Taille) = 90 cm

3rd size (3eme Taille) = 85 cm

Actually, the regulation not having been strictly followed, many swords made by private sword makers bear no markings at all and the ornamentation and size of the hilts are found to vary.  

This sword bears no marking. On the Third Republic, a lot of officers purchased their swords from private makers. So, the Third Republic is known as a great period for fantasy sword for officers. This is one. By the 1910's the fashion was for a polished guard or with light chasings. The first maker who purposed this variation of sword was Backès & Delacour, and whilst this sword is unmarked, it remains true to this type of private purchase sword.  Finally, the polite brilliant guarding is not intended for the troops. 

Characteristics of the illustrated sword:

Total Length = 110 cm

Blade Length = 95 cm * much favoured by Light Cavalry Officers

Blade Width at ricasso = 25 mm

Blade Thickness at ricasso = 8.5 mm  The blade is light but tempered. Combat ready ????????

Weight without scabbard = 1040 grams

M1896 Art N sword.jpg

1896 guard 1.jpg

My 1896.jpg

My 1896 Guard.jpg