News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

the OTHER austrian ek1 maker...Ulbricht's Witwe!

when the topic of iron crosses made in austria arises, most people think of rothe and neffe, and few people are aware of another firm that manufactured and marketed them, perhaps as these crosses were also sold to resellers, such as f. sedlatzek in berlin, who stamped them with their own mark.

"Erste Osterreichisch-Ungarische Metallknopfe- und Metallwaren-Fabrik Heinrich Ulbricht's Witwe, Wien" ...sometimes marked, "HUW" or "UW"

this obscure maker made high quality crosses in many grades of silver, including 800, 900, 930, 935, "SILBER". interestingly enough, they are often automatically attributed to sedlatzek, as that berlin firm is more widely recognized. they came with many different types of advanced, peculiar, and attractive attachment systems, and are very desirable to advanced collectors these days.

according to konstantin nikolaev, who in his magnificent two-volume opus on the iron cross (vol. 1, chapter. 31, pages 445-463), he attributes several styles and variations to this maker, including the unmarked version below.

CIMG0007 (4).JPGCIMG0005 (5).JPG

hi chris,

i used the google translate app on my phone (pretty cool--you hold the camera to the page and the app automatically translates text on your camera screen--it's majick!!!). it's not as accurate as i'd like and the process is quite laborious, but the gist is that he has been able to narrow the cross to that maker via marked 2nd class versions, material used in manufacturing, and core matches. he goes into quite a bit of technical detail about construction techniques and materials used. he shows 14 examples of this maker in this chapter. pretty sure he states that these are early war, high quality crosses made by special order, mainly first class and unmarked. i think he wrote that this outfit was a wholesaler who made these in bulk lots via special order for resellers such as sedlatzek. which explains why they are unmarked. 

Edited by Eric Stahlhut
    grammar

I already said when discussing another A-H maker Kuhmayer, that there is more reliable method of translating from azbuka. Make the photo or scan of the page(s) and post it here. I will throw it to English really quickly. You will have it translated and I will have it read. Not a bad deal, hm?

• 2 years later...

i noticed that in my first post i neglected to include that sometimes these crosses are also attributed to c.f. zimmerman.

anyhow, here's another that i find interesting due to the fact that the front frame is silver while the rear frame is of silvered brass. pin appears to be silver.

20180713_190824.thumb.jpg.93f32f8938a5d0eaadfdf85fe48c2005.jpg20180713_191055.thumb.jpg.a513dd3d13ead14668a0835c4d940058.jpg20180713_190756.thumb.jpg.641621c4d0d36f4d4942e62e6aca100c.jpg