News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Peterborough UK. White Summer Jacket.

Hi, Just joined this interesting forum and have a question to ask.

My names Laurence and I have just inherited my late fathers (Alan Swain) police collection. He was a serving officer in the Peterborough Combined Police, later Mid Anglia and Cambridgeshire Constabularies. He served from 22nd October 1951 to 31st August 1982. His remaining collection that I now have consists of painted Victorian Truncheons, Local forces badges, Cambridgeshire, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire and Norfolk along with various helmets, uniforms, pictures, photos and paperwork etc.

It does seem that I have also inherited this collecting bug which is proving hard to shake off. The question I have is...

"Is Peterborough the only police force in the UK to have the white Tunic"? I know that other forces had white helmets as did Peterborough. The jacket itself along with two others I have, are in very good condition being made of fine heavy cotton. Buttons are removable with brass keyring type loops for ease of removal. Epalettes have the crossed keys coat of arms along with number. It seems that the labels were removed on all three jackets as they were so near to bottom front of jacket and could be seen if turned inside out. Jacket along with helmet was worn during summer of 1958 for the best part of one week according to surviving friends & family, and looked incredibly smart on the street. Hope photo is of some interest.

Pboro Combined  Summer Jacket 1958.jpg

Lawrence,

There were several forces who used a white "tunic" jacket. As far as I'm aware they were only worn on traffic direction duty and not (as Peterborough intended) for everyday street patrol wear. The exception I believe was in Jersey (Channel Islands) were prior to 1972 they wore them with a white helmet during the summer. The only difference was that theirs has a "stand collar" as opposed to an open neck one.  I have an identical one to yours from Liverpool City Police.

Best wishes, Dave.

Thanks Dave, 

It does indeed make sense to use a white tunic for traffic duties. Peterborough also had another white tunic as such which was especially for traffic duty. Seen in this picture is PC 18 Harry Perrin, although I do not have this particular tunic I do have his Summer Street patrol tunic the same as the  picture in my first posting, and would have come later.

I do wish my Dad acquired the illuminated traffic helmet, that would have been a novelty to have. Badge on this looks Kings Crown which would have come long before the Summer tunic and helmet of 1958. Tunic does looks more of a waterproof overcoat and probably shared by traffic duty officers rather than a cotton made one .

pc18 Harry Perrin Pboro Combined.jpg