News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW2 War Reserve Officers - Research....

Just out of curiosity what potential is there for researching a WW2 War reserve officer? I know he joined in about 1905 and was pensioned off in 1935 and that he served as a war reserve officer. What's the chances of being able to research his WW2 service, such as which division he was attached to or the like?

• 2 years later...

Out of interest, there were still two War Reserve constables working full time in the City of London Police in 1976. One was a lady who was the breakfast cook (and who undertook no other duties), the second was part of the Central Criminal Court staff, and he was on duty at The Judges Entrance every weekday, in uniform.

Stephen

That is not unusual. However, I suspect that the two individuals you mention were actually members of the First Police Reserve. War Reserve Constables ceased to be known as such following the cessation of hostilities in 1945. Those wishing to continue made up what was known as the First Police Reserve. The last such Reserve Constable on Merseyside retired from the force on 1st July 1980. Whether he was the last one in the UK, I know not.

Dave. 

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

17 hours ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

That is not unusual. However, I suspect that the two individuals you mention were actually members of the First Police Reserve. War Reserve Constables ceased to be known as such following the cessation of hostilities in 1945. Those wishing to continue made up what was known as the First Police Reserve. The last such Reserve Constable on Merseyside retired from the force on 1st July 1980. Whether he was the last one in the UK, I know not.

Dave. 

Very interesting!! Were these First Police Reserve bobbies entitled to the LSGC? The reason I ask is with potentially double the service (22 years) is there an argument there for a bar to the regular police LSGC. With the new pension changes to modern day bobbies, it's not going to be unusual for bobbies to have 40 & 45 years service!!!!!!