News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Has anyone got any experience of researching officers disciplinary offences, who could offer me some advice? What type of information would be contained, if I can find his entry?

The officer in question is PC William Arthur WHIFFEN - Disciplinary Offence as 250H in Jan 1900 while he was serving in H Div. 

If you can locate the associated Police Order(s) it can be quite enlightening.  Others are sometimes much less informative.  

Below is the result for PS Meecham  who was subsequently reverted to PC.  He obviously didn't learn his lesson as he was later disciplined again (with just loss of pay the second time) for arguing with a motorist who complained about his behaviour. 

Meecham.jpg

If you are researching a man who served on into the 1930s his records will also be shown on a CRS (Central Record of Service) Card which replaced the earlier service sheets.  The reverse shows the details of commendations and also disciplinary offences.  I think the information was virtually copied straight from the police orders.  Here is an extract for one PC - reading between the lines his second offence is for damaging a police vehicle but failing to own up to it. 

Example 2.jpg

Many thanks Odin, that all makes very interesting reading and I know we should condone such outrageous behaviour but it did bring a smile to my face.

Of course the next question is were can I find the relevant police orders? Will this require a visit to Kew? 

:cheers: Anyone going to Kew? 

Yes I believe the Police Orders are held at Kew.  They are also at the Police Heritage Centre at Earls Court.  I have a friend who used to work in Scotland Yard and he would look them up for me in their library.  Unfortunately he is based elsewhere now.   

I forgot to mention those CRSs I referred to above are NOT held at Kew they are only at the Heritage Centre.  Kew does not hold police records for other forces and I understand Kew will not be accepting any more records from the Met so the current information will never be deposited there. 

Edited by Odin Mk 3