News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Romania, Honour Cross of the Order of Merit - QUERY

Hi,

I write to ask for some information on the Romanian Honour Cross of the Order of Merit. I can find very little online.

1. Was this Order given during period 1930-1945?
    2. Was it awarded to foreign military personnel (German)?
    3. Could someone please post a photo of the Grand Cross during this period?

Many thanks
    Pierce

Romanian Honour Cross of the Order of Merit 1st Class.jpg

Illustration of First Class with Swords. The Ordinul Pentru Merit was founded by King Carol II in June 1931, the first bestowals taking place a month later. It was awarded in Military and Civil divisions, the Military Division being awarded with swords. The statutes formalised the Orders regulations in December 1938, the Swords were abolished in June 1941, the Order was seldom awarded during Mihai's reign. The award came in four classes, Grand Cross, Commander Officer and Knight. It ceased existence following the end of the Monarchy in 1947

lot322a.jpg

lot322b.jpg

Paul,

Thank you for your informative replies.

The image I posted- is that the Commander Cross?

Thanks
    Pierce

3 hours ago, paul wood said:

The statutes permitted awards to foreigners.

Paul

Any record, photographic or otherwise, of high ranking Germans receiving this award?

It is indeed the Commander's Cross

It is most likely that there were German Recipients as 570 bestowals were made in all classes to non Romanians 70 Grand Cross, 99 Grand Officer's, 243 Commander's, 106 Officer's and 52 Knights, it is most likely that the vast majority of these were bestowed prior to 1941, possibly some of our Third Reich aficionados may have evidence, either documentary or photographic.

Paul

18 minutes ago, paul wood said:

It is indeed the Commander's Cross

It is most likely that there were German Recipients as 570 bestowals were made in all classes to non Romanians 70 Grand Cross, 99 Grand Officer's, 243 Commander's, 106 Officer's and 52 Knights, it is most likely that the vast majority of these were bestowed prior to 1941, possibly some of our Third Reich aficionados may have evidence, either documentary or photographic.

Paul

Paul,

Thank you again. Is there any photos of the Grand Cross? I cannot find any

Pierce

There are actually two distinctions that share both name and insignia elements. The first one (historically and in importance) is the Honour Sign and later Order for Merit, established in 1931. The second one is the Honour Cross for Merit established in 1933. They were initially established as dynastic awards, but were included in the national system of orders in the late 1930s and were both very scarce. The image initially posted by P.F. is the 1st class of the Honour Cross. The image posted by Paul is the first class of the order. To increase the confusion, bear in mind that the Order for Merit had as insignia a white cross surrounded by a golden thorn crown and that the same insignia was placed on the central medallion of the Honour Cross and the first class of the order.

The photos below (from source, but ultimately from Life magazine) show first Ernest Urdareanu, Minister of the Court during the reign of King Carol II, and Gheorghe Tatarescu, Prime Minister during the reign of King Carol II, both wearing the officer's badge of the Order for Merit.

ernest-urdareanu.jpg

tatarascu.jpg

The gallery of premiers on the government homepage shows an earlier photo of Tatarescu wearing the knight's cross of the Order for Merit.

big_tatrescu.jpg

Edited by Carol I

23 hours ago, paul wood said:

Interesting statistics. What is its origin?

5 hours ago, paul wood said:

My last post before going on holiday, look forward to seeing further posts Monday week

Have a nice holiday!

On 05/05/2016 at 18:50, P.F. said:

Is there any photos of the Grand Cross? I cannot find any

Here is one of King Carol II during the 1937 state visit to Poland (from a Polish archive).

PIC_1-D-1374-22.jpg

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 16:04, Carol I said:

There are actually two distinctions that share both name and insignia elements. The first one (historically and in importance) is the Honour Sign and later Order for Merit, established in 1931. The second one is the Honour Cross for Merit established in 1933. They were initially established as dynastic awards, but were included in the national system of orders in the late 1930s and were both very scarce. The image initially posted by P.F. is the 1st class of the Honour Cross. The image posted by Paul is the first class of the order. To increase the confusion, bear in mind that the Order for Merit had as insignia a white cross surrounded by a golden thorn crown and that the same insignia was placed on the central medallion of the Honour Cross and the first class of the order.

The photos below (from source, but ultimately from Life magazine) show first Ernest Urdareanu, Minister of the Court during the reign of King Carol II, and Gheorghe Tatarescu, Prime Minister during the reign of King Carol II, both wearing the officer's badge of the Order for Merit.

The gallery of premiers on the government homepage shows an earlier photo of Tatarescu wearing the knight's cross of the Order for Merit.

Carol I

Thank you for this detailed post. Noting the distinction between the Order and Honour Cross has really helped my understanding.

Kind regards
    Pierce

31 minutes ago, P.F. said:

What were the Award Grades in the Honour Cross series?
    Was the 1st Class the highest grade?

The Honour Cross only had two classes, with 1st class the higher grade and 2nd class the lower one.

17 minutes ago, Carol I said:

The Honour Cross only had two classes, with 1st class the higher grade and 2nd class the lower one.

Perfect. Thanks again.:cheers:

• 8 months later...
    • 10 months later...