News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Yugoslav Crown, Prototype? + Krasnov's Drawings

Unusual Order of the Yugoslav Crown offered by Dorotheum. Prototype, fantasy or something else?
    I'm pretty sure it's made by Huguenin and the crown looks exactly the same as on Order of the Star of Karađorđe of that producer.
    I will later upload Nikolay Krasnov's (Николай Петрович Краснов) drawings kept at National Library of Serbia. 

47O160520_147_10017_64.jpg47O160520_147_10017_64_a.jpg

Edited by paja

Maybe a custom order piece? Any information on the material ?

Its definatley an interesting piece and well done, I'd be interested to see the connection piece between the crown and the order.

6 hours ago, Rogi said:

Maybe a custom order piece? Any information on the material ?

Its definatley an interesting piece and well done, I'd be interested to see the connection piece between the crown and the order.

Click on Dorotheum in my previous reply, it's a link to auction :)
    According to the description it's made out of gilded silver and enamel. 
    I'm not familiar with German terminology, is "Kleine Dekoration zum Großkreuz" meaning grand cross badge? This is obviously not a miniature...

Edited by paja

I think it is safe to say that Krasnov is the author of the solution for Yugoslav Crown even though some sources, for example Car & Muhić, state that the order was designed by Đorđe Čarapić (Ђорђе Чарапић). Just take a look at the following drawings...
    200.JPG201.JPG

Thank you, Paja. That's really interesting. I didn't know that the Order of the Crown was designed by academician Krasnov (though when I have been in Belgrade a couple years ago I even saw his tomb).

Edited by taras

You are welcome! I was also not aware that it was designed by Krasnov until I stumbled upon his drawings.
    Serbia and Belgrade had the luck of becoming new home for many members of the Russian elite after the Civil war.
    Russian Necropolis with around 3000 remains of Russian emigres, Iverskaya Chapel and "Russian Glory" monument and crypt with remains of Imperial Russian soldiers were renovated in 2014. I posted some images here. Unfortunately they are still not visible because of the forum upgrade,

• 3 weeks later...
    7 hours ago, paja said:

Realized price:
    EUR 2,200
    USD 2,450
    + buyer's premium
    Considering the price maybe it's really authentic...

I'm not so sure you'd have to check the attachment device from the crown to the order and check everything is all right and not soldered to death. Its a big gamble but if it paid off I guess it could be worth that price in a couple years.

Although I do love the combination and it looks really good from the photos :) I have to say so.

So that's what "Kleine Dekoration zum Großkreuz" means, not being very familiar with German that confused me a little bit. As far as I know something like that never existed in Serbia/Yugoslavia... You either had regular size order or miniature.

Thank you for your reply, Paul.
    Let me take Austria-Hungary for example. If I understood well "Kleine Dekoration zum Großkreuz" is knight's cross worn with reduced grand cross on triangular ribbon. Such practice didn't exist in Serbia/Yugoslavia and I don't remember seeing example like that. Unfortunately they don't mention size of the order, but being described as "ritterdekoration" I presume it must be the same size as 5th (and 4th) class.

Edited by paja