On 20/10/2018 at 20:19, bigjarofwasps said:

It's been a couple of years now since, I started this thread. Would be interested to know if anyone has added a Welsh named medal to their collection yet? 

Still yet to see an example, come onto the market. They would appear to be very rare, would be interesting to see how much of a premium one would demand?

Just thinking outside the box for a moment, I think I'm right in believing that medals named in Welsh must be the rarest example of medals issued to British Police Officer in the history of the issue of the Police LSGC. Wiki has total officers serving in Wales in 2006 as 7529. I envisage that this amount hasn't increased that significantly since 2006. When you then consider out of that number how many go on to serve the required 20 years and out of that number how many elect to have their medals engraved with Welsh ranks and out of that number how many find their way onto the market. I suspect the odds of ever adding one to your collection is bordering on hens teeth status...................? 

Wales.jpg

I doubt it. The rarest examples of PLS&GC medals will be those showing Chief Officer (Ch.Offr..) rank. A number of the non-Home Office forces were headed by a Chief Officer (as opposed to Chief Constable). The number of medals issued bearing that rank would be very few. Possibly no more than a dozen or so. 

Dave.

49 minutes ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

I doubt it. The rarest examples of PLS&GC medals will be those showing Chief Officer (Ch.Offr..) rank. A number of the non-Home Office forces were headed by a Chief Officer (as opposed to Chief Constable). The number of medals issued bearing that rank would be very few. Possibly no more than a dozen or so. 

Dave.

Interesting concept Dave. But I wonder how many of the Chief Officers obtained their 20 years before going into that rank, so their medal would be named to their rank at the time of qualification. Where as the Welsh rank naming can be obtained at any time if that make sense. Also Chief Officer in Welsh would be unique I would guess? 

You have to remember that in 1951, when the PLS&GC medal was introduced, all those who had 22 years service with unblemished conduct would have been in the frame to get the medal. That would have included all the CC's and their (very few) non-Home Office equals. Since then there would have been further awards. However, those small non-HO forces which existed in Wales have long since disappeared, well before Welsh naming became the norm. I would think that the number of Welsh rank named medals would be (by this time) many hundreds. However, I take your point. As an aside, isn't it interesting that the rank abbreviations  on the PLS&GC medal are never shown as "PC", "PS" or "PI" ?    

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

Interesting idea on language variations. Might be a struggle to get all the required letters on the rim of a Welsh police medal-!!!