News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

HELP PLEASE IMP. RUSSIAN BADGES

QSAMIKE

Good Morning Everyone......

Boy am I way out of my field.....  I have found the following Russian Badges and do not know if they are real/good or not......  Can anyone please advise.....  They all have screw backs one is missing the dome and one had the post broken.....  The silver cross I have cleaned because it was as black as the ace of spades.....  Normally I would not ask but is there any value......

Thanks in advance.....

Mike

DSC00592.JPG

DSC00604.JPG

DSC00595.JPG

DSC00606.JPG

DSC00608.JPG

Edited by TacHel

Thank You Gentlemen......

They came out of an estate of a Canadian who won an MC and a Russian Decoration for services in North Russia....  Could not afford the medals as they sold for over $6500.00 and all the swords, daggers and Canadian, British and Russian uniforms went very high even his photo album.....  So I wondered why I was able to obtain them at what I thought was a reasonable price......

Mike

38 minutes ago, QSAMIKE said:

Thank You Gentlemen......

They came out of an estate of a Canadian who won an MC and a Russian Decoration for services in North Russia.... 

???!   Who was it?  Where was the gentleman; Murmansk or Archangel?  Any patches or insignia in the lot?

18 minutes ago, Claudius said:

???!   Who was it?  Where was the gentleman; Murmansk or Archangel?  Any patches or insignia in the lot?

This was about 2 or 3 years ago and I am sorry but I don't remember his name.....  I do remember that there were 5, 4 Ft x 8 Ft tables covered with his items, weapons, uniforms, badges, boxes of papers (official and newspaper cuttings)......  I am sure that it was Murmansk, I remember the story..... 

Some members of the Russian Royal Family or Aristocrats were trapped on their way to Murmansk, the troops 1/2 Russian and 1/2 British or Canadian took an armoured train to go and get them.....  They had no major  problems on the way out but the Reds had blocked the track on the way back.....  The Canadian officer had a cow catcher type implement made and attached to the front of the train which had a flat car, they mounted some machine guns on the flat car  and the two officers both rode up front on the flat car......  They were able to ram through the barricade after a couple of tries, firing all the way.....  They lost nearly 1/2 of their men but got the Aristocrats to safety.....  One of the framed items was a certificate signed by all the Russians that were on the train.....   

The odd thing is that about 2 weeks after I won some money on the Lotto and could have bought  the medals and a large number of the other items...... 

Mike

OK Guys........

You made me do some digging......  Checked an old computer that I had just in case I had something about the medals on there.....

Found Him and his Son.....

The mans name was Lieutenant (Acting/Captain) Robert Melrose Hood, 1st Central Ontario Regiment.  LG 15/July/1919

Citation reads a bit different than family lore:

He was in charge of the Armoured Train in the taking of Ourosozero 11th April 1919.  When the train neared the station he ran ahead and shot three enemy with his revolver, one of whom was putting a shell in a field gun to fire at the train.  His great gallantry and promptitude prevented this field gun from damaging the train ( attached Malamute Company)

Mike

FATHER AND SON

Hood.jpg

Hood Junior.jpg

34 minutes ago, QSAMIKE said:

OK Guys........

You made me do some digging......  Checked an old computer that I had just in case I had something about the medals on there.....

Found Him and his Son.....

The mans name was Lieutenant (Acting/Captain) Robert Melrose Hood, 1st Central Ontario Regiment.  LG 15/July/1919

Citation reads a bit different than family lore:

He was in charge of the Armoured Train in the taking of Ourosozero 11th April 1919.  When the train neared the station he ran ahead and shot three enemy with his revolver, one of whom was putting a shell in a field gun to fire at the train.  His great gallantry and promptitude prevented this field gun from damaging the train ( attached Malamute Company)

Mike

FATHER AND SON

Hood.jpg

Hood Junior.jpg

Ah, Malamute Company.  They were expanding out of the Murmansk area, part of Syren Force under Major Gen. Maynard's command.  Excellent! 

I would LOVE to see the uniform that was part of this group!  Specifically I'm curious about his CEF North Russia unit patch.  It should be a white star on a blue field.

Very nice indeed and can't be many such groups to Canadians, the Stanislaus (as is often the case for this period) look like a French made piece. The award is confirmed in Roy Brough's book 'White Russian Awards'

Paul

• 1 year later...
    3 hours ago, Bayern said:

Hello ,the cross looks well made , thats conducts to think It is original. A question : the red enamel is of the glazed type ?

Thanks for interest to the topic.The enamel is not the glazed type.It is quite grainy.