News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

2 new Russian medals for ops in Syria

TacHel

Medal "For the Liberation of Palmyra"

Established on 14 May 2016 by ministerial order 273.  Awarded to servicemen of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation and of the Syrian Arab Army, for direct participation in the heroic storming and liberation of Palmyra during the period from the 13th to 27th of March 2016, as well as to the planners and leaders of military operations during the liberation of the Syrian city. The medal may also be awarded to civilians, for their assistance in dealing with the tasks entrusted to the united military forces in conducting military operations for the liberation of Palmyra.

Said to have been minted in approx 3000 copies.  Syrians receive medal with a different ribbon.  Green with national red-white-black central stripes.

Collectors of Soviet militaria will no doubt notice the resemblance in design to the "liberation" medals of WW2.  Still trying to find a decent photo and design on the reverse.  These have been awarded already in ceremonies held in Syria.

medal liberation of Palmyra.jpg

Medal "For the Demining of Palmyra"

Established on 14 May 2016 by ministerial order 277.  Awarded to soldiers of the International EOD Center of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation, and in some cases, to other citizens, for dedication, courage and professionalism in conducting demining operations in the Syrian city of Palmyra in April and May 2016, for the performance of tasks in the detection and neutralization of explosive devices in the area, as well as for the organization and manual demining.

Also rumoured to have been minted in numbers around 3000.  The ribbon is similar to the ribbon from the Medal "Participant in Military Operations in Syria", the Syrian national colours have simply been reversed on it. 

medal for the demining of Palmyra.jpg

Edited by TacHel

• 1 month later...

Is that the correct ribbon? I thought the half orange with black edge/half red-white-black was the ribbon for the Medal "For the Demining of Palmyra" - the one for  the Medal "For the Liberation of Palmyra" being quite different.

Or am I confused (not for the first time)?

13 hours ago, Megan said:

Is that the correct ribbon? I thought the half orange with black edge/half red-white-black was the ribbon for the Medal "For the Demining of Palmyra" - the one for  the Medal "For the Liberation of Palmyra" being quite different.

Or am I confused (not for the first time)?

You're not confused, I just rechecked the ministerial order just to make sure, the ribbon shown in the image in the original post is the proper one.

• 3 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...

I thoroughly read all three establishment orders and found no clause stating only one could be earned.  I've seen photos of award ceremonies for all three medals and have yet to see anybody wearing more than the one.

Now, having said that, the award criteria for the Medal "Participant in Military Operations in Syria" means it would logically be awarded to anybody in theatre, even the liberators of Palmyra, and later the EOD personnel.  I guarantee you I'll keep a sharp eye out in the future to see if I can find a photo of a Russian serviceman wearing more than one.