News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Please help ID this busted group's original holder

Apropos of another busted group presently offered on exay, here's one that 'reunited' some years ago.  It includes a Lippe-Detmold Order of Honor [civil] 2nd class (image added--one button inscribed J. Godet & Sohne Berlin).   The ribbon bar reverse has a Friedr. Sedlatzek  label [name only].   It also contains a red ribbon that may likely represent either a White Falcon or a Franz Joseph award.  Accompanying these at time of purchase were the Lippe and Saxon War Merit Crosses and the EHO knight lst class, ribbons not included on the ribbon bar.  Miniatures included with this group include Lippe and Saxon War Merit Crosses but none of the enameled items--likely stripped for a bracelet or some such.  The EHO has the reverse part of the crown removed and the ribbon ring flattened as sometimes seen when mounted in a group.Please help identify the original winner of this busted group.  

It may have belonged to a senior war worker type, from Lippe?  

unmounted group 001.jpg

Any help sincerely appreciated!

l cdr 2 001.jpgl cdr 001.jpg

Edited by 922F

• 1 month later...

Damn...looks easy, but in fact it isn´t....without a closeup on the ribbonbar, I cannot step forward.

But as you already assumed, this looks pretty much like a guy from Lippe-Detmold.
    Do I see a 1897- and 1905-medal Lippe-Detmold at the end of the ribbon bar?

By the way, I will forward my address to you...you can already send it to me :-P

Thanks to all for your efforts and help!!   I'll get a ribbon bar image in a few days as scanner not working/broken.  The last ribbon appears to be a Saxe-Meiningen War Merit Decoration, civil ribbon (Kreuz für Verdienst im Kriege 1915, Nichtkämpfer) 

1 hour ago, 922F said:

Another try

ej bar (1).jpg

Reverse

ej bar 1.jpg

Hi,

1 Eisernes Kreuz 2 Klasse 1914 exists

2 Kreuz für Kriegshilfe exists

3 Rotkreuzmedaille 3. Klasse exists

4 Centenarmedaille exists

5 Ehrenkreuz 3.Klasse Lippe-Detmold exists

6 ?

7 Zähringer Löwe Ritterkreuz 2.Klasse exists

8 Regierungsjubiläumsmedaille bronzene Medaille exists

9 ?

10 Ehrenzeichen für Verdienste im Kriege am Nichtkämpferband exists

Medals which don´t match to the ribbon bar:

Herzoglich Sachsen-Ernestinischer Hausorden Ritterkreuz 1.Klasse

Kriegsverdienstkreuz Königreich Sachsen

Kriegsverdienstkreuz am Nichtkämpferband Lippe-Detmold

Kind regards
    Andreas

Thank you Andreas--possible #6 represents the Lippe-Detmold Order of Honor [civil] 2nd class  and red ribbon may represent either a White Falcon or a Franz Joseph award. 

Much better picture now...

Now we are moving to phase II:

Is the LDH2 a silver gilden or a real golden one?

The same question needs to be answered for the LD3.

Somehow I have the feeling, that the LDH2 was awarded after 1918...

On 7.6.2016 at 20:36, 922F said:

Apropos of another busted group presently offered on exay, here's one that 'reunited' some years ago.  It includes a Lippe-Detmold Order of Honor [civil] 2nd class (image added--one button inscribed J. Godet & Sohne Berlin).   The ribbon bar reverse has a Friedr. Sedlatzek  label [name only].   It also contains a red ribbon that may likely represent either a White Falcon or a Franz Joseph award.  Accompanying these at time of purchase were the Lippe and Saxon War Merit Crosses and the EHO knight lst class, ribbons not included on the ribbon bar.  Miniatures included with this group include Lippe and Saxon War Merit Crosses but none of the enameled items--likely stripped for a bracelet or some such.  The EHO has the reverse part of the crown removed and the ribbon ring flattened as sometimes seen when mounted in a group.Please help identify the original winner of this busted group.  

It may have belonged to a senior war worker type, from Lippe?  

unmounted group 001.jpg

Any help sincerely appreciated!

l cdr 2 001.jpgl cdr 001.jpg

Hi,

are you sure, that all these medals belonged to one person only?

Regards
    Andreas

Thank you gentlemen!  

Soloman--Both the LD3 and LDH2 appear to be silver gilt but the LD3 centers may be gold.  I agree that the LD2 most likely may be post-war manufacture.  

Andreas--These all came together from a Peruvian claiming to be a grand-nephew or some such of the original owner maybe 10 years ago. He would not tell me the name of the original holder but said they belonged to his 'old man uncle'.   Another thought, if all the awards were together, why was the red ribbon decoration missing from the lot?   Maybe it was used as jewelery and went the way of the missing enamel miniatures?

Usually, I tend to discount pieces 'with a group' not reflected on the ribbon bar or full size ribbon mount.  However, I have several groups that either were not updated or the holder did not care to add his full entitlement.  Oddly, one of them includes documented evidence for both Lippe and Saxon War Merit Crosses and the War Help Cross but those pieces are not mounted on the full size bar.     And, given that the materal came from a rather obscure source, the presence of the somewhat uncommon Lippe and Saxon War Cross miniatures has some weight.   So I have a quasi open mind about the those Crosses 'belonging'.  Am not sure about the EHO.....but if LD2 is post-war, some similar possibility could exist.     

The LDH2 was post-war awarded (I´m pretty sure about that), but not necessarily produced post-war.

But I´m really struggling with ribbon No. 6 (with the crown on the ribbon). My idea was maybe a Schaumburg-Lippe award, because it is really hard to imagine, that it should be the LDH2, as this award is not linked to a crown at all.

In addition the NC-Lippe cross can be also awarded post-war (until 1921)....which makes the job not easier.

Regards

Roman

Edited by Solomon

I understand completely!  The crown ribbon device appears generic.   Might it indicate a merit cross and later upgrade to 3rd class or officer cross....another conundrum !  

• 2 weeks later...
    On 7/26/2016 at 11:54, dedehansen said:

Hi,

are you sure, that all these medals belonged to one person only?

Regards
    Andreas

I am not sure if you are the person who needed information on a peruvian medal. Please reply to flyrey2012@hotmail.com In regards to Contra Almirante Bellina Eggerstedt