News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dreg Period Unknown Ethiopian Badge?

Lion101

Hello Everyone, I recently got this badge from group of Vietnamese/Cambodian items and I was wondering if anyone would be able to read the script on it?

IMG_20160622_010202.jpg

IMG_20160622_010215.jpg

IMG_20160622_010235.jpg

IMG_20160622_010222.jpg

Edited by Lion101

• 5 months later...

Mystery solved...kinda.

That is a badge/coin commemorating a meeting/congress of the "Commission for Organizing the Party of the Working People of Ethiopia." COPWE was the commission that created the Worker's Party of Ethiopia. WPE replaced COPWE in 1984. More information available on wiki. I am uncertain which meeting/congress this coin was for as the number and year are blurred in the photo. I think the year in the photo says "1976."

According to wiki, "The first congress of COPWE was held on June 16-19, 1980...The second COPWE congress was held on January 3-6, 1983. If my math is right, the two congresses were held on 10/9/1972-10/12/1972 and 4/25/1975-4/28/1975 in the Ethiopian calendar. I don't know if additional meeting were held after the creation of WPE, so I don't know where "1976" comes into play.