News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The P.O.W. Experience In Photos: Russians

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

1-- Capture

2-- Disarmament & field interrogation

3-- Removal from the front

4-- Transport

5-- Camp

6-- Release

4: Tsarist prisoners of war being marched into the interior by Hungarian guards. Undated, but probably early in the war from the Russian troops' state of dress and equipment.

Guest Rick Research

4: Transport by rail. Even in 1915, the terrible condition of Russian troops is seen in this photo, taken in Hungary.

Guest Rick Research

5: But the war did not end in 1915... it dragged on and on.

No date on this photo of Russian POWs taking a tea break at camp-- were they new arrivals from the collapsing Eastern Front, or did years of captivity make them look like Napoleon's retreating forces must have, in the winter of 1812/13?

Guest Rick Research

5: No, in the FIRST war, at least, Russian prisoners fared better than their troops in the field: better fed and better housed.

Somewhere in Germany, 1917, Russian POWS and German guards-- two Germans former members of the Karpathenkorps from their cap insignia.

Guest Rick Research

6: For some, "For you the war is over" did NOT mean happy homecomings.

A Russian NCOs' cemetery, late spring or early summer 1918, in a German speaking area of the Central Powers.

Released from their service to the ex-Tsar by death, in the safety (again, how different from the next war) of a POW camp.

Guest Rick Research

I've got various POW photos from WW1-- these have always appealed to me. Will post separate topics by country. (I've actually got LUCKY British/Allied officer prisones of the Turks, among others).

• 2 weeks later...