News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWI French Couvreux folding knives

Mark McM

Hello all,

I have several WWI period French 'Couvreux' clasp knives but can't find any information on them on the interweb.  Does anyone have any background on these knives??  

Mark~

6 minutes ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

I think those are "Corsican duelling knives " or some funny name like that?

actually, Chris...  these are war-time French knives.  This one is etched "Le Compagnon des Tranche'es" on one side of the blade, and the other side is etched "Campagne 1914 - 1915 - 1916 - 1917 -1918" 

• 1 year later...
    • 2 weeks later...

I suspect, based on only a little general knowledge, that these were perfectly ordinary French pocket knives, though presumably manufactured for issue to troops, and that a) searching for 'French knives, 1910' would turn up numerous examples and b) the 'Corsican' thing is a marketing scam, liek every other odd item which immediately gets attributed to 'elite' troops or, in a later war, the 'SOE'.  But that's just my general cynicism regarding the state of the market in our hobby these days.