News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Numbers on the lids of Police LSGC boxes.....

You did not say how big the number is.....

It could be his warrant number or the number corresponding to his name from a list that was used by the organization that named it especially if they had a number of them to name at the same time.....

M....

I thought that by 'box lid' you meant the lid of the regular Police LSGC case, as shown in the first photo below.

Looks like the one you have is a Special Constabulary Medal box ....................... as shown in the second photo.

As you probably know, 'Specials' are a bit different from regular cops !!  ;)

So are their medals ....................... and the qualification criteria !!

The number '16' will be the recipient's Gwynedd Special Constabulary warrant number.

Probably dates from the 1940s.

Hope this helps.

1.jpg

SC.jpg

Edited by Robin Lumsden

I think I'm right in saying that the cardboard box was also used (with typed label) for the "regulars" medal before the introduction of the "posh" case. So, I'm not convinced that the "Gwynedd" box would have contained an SC medal. As to what the numbers are I've no idea. As an aside, the Gwynedd Constabulary was formed in October 1950, so the box can only "date" post that period.

Dave.

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

Robin/Dave, thanks for your replies to my thread. I can confirm that the box does relate to a regular officer.

gwynedd 1.png

gwynedd 2.png

I'm assuming that PC HUGHES must have joined in the late 1930's, in order to qualify for his LSGC between 1950 and 1952, Gwynedd Constabulary wasn't formed until 1950 and E11R became Queen in 1953.

On 30th September 1950, there were five (5) Constables serving in the Caernarvonshire Constabulary named HUGHES:-

John Stanley HUGHES

John Emlyn HUGHES

John Thomas HUGHES

J. HUGHES (no first name given).

J. R. HUGHES (no first name given).

On the same date the Anglesey Constabulary has one Constable serving with that name:-

John HUGHES. He joined Anglesey on 11th March 1939 as Constable 35 at the age of 19 yrs.

He served in the Armed forces 3.9.42 until 17.11.45. At the time of the amalgamation he was serving as a Detective Constable.

I have no final nominal roll for Merioneth. That said, there is a final force photo which is "named" and which may provide a clue. I will make an enquiry and come back to you.   

Dave.

PS. For clarification, I should explain that Caernarvonshire, Anglesey and Merioneth Constabularies were the forces who were amalgamated to form the original Gwynedd Constabulary on 1st October 1950. 

Just checked the final force photo for Merioneth. Only one Constable named HUGHES. First name began with "E".

Dave.

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

Thanks Dave, judging by the fact that he appears to have only had a Defence Medal for his WW2 service. I would assume that he's not the Anglesey one, couple this with the fact that if he joined up in 1939, E11R would have been the effigy on his LSGC. As all the Caernarfonshire appear to have middle names, which doesn't appear on his medal, I would assume that he must be the J HUGHES (no first name given)?  

Nice that the "gap" in the information about J HUGHES can be beyond reasonable doubt ascertained as this chap. I would further offer that I have the entire nominal roll for Caernarfon Constabulary in September 1950. J HUGHES appears in the list of names under Supt O G EAMES and Insps I EVANS & Ll ROBERTS (assume this to be Llewelyn). If any of these senior Officers can be narrowed down to a particular area or even station this will give us an idea as to which station John HUGHES was based at.............?