News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

8x60 "Fat Commanders"

Two blc "fat Commanders".

There was a bit of fungal growth in one which was cleaned and successfully removed by the late Dougie Biggart at Glasgow Binocular Repairs. Whenever I use this set I think of Dougie who was an expert craftsman  and a true gentleman.

Both sets were painted with a horrible roughly applied black paint which I removed, crude and ugly it was not applied in the service life of either set.8x60 2.JPG

006.JPG

008.JPG

010.JPG

8x60 3.JPG

DSCF2846.jpg

DSCF2847.jpg

015.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

It took a while, on the smooth finished set a replacement eye cup and a "benutzer chord"  had to be found. (both reproductions), the rough finished set lacked the rainguard , eventually a period one was found be it slightly chipped.

The lanyards although period are in storage, I saw a riend of mine have a set fall when a war time lanyard broke , it could have been a very expensive fall, thankfully no damge done. The set he has is just a few numbers short of the rough finished set I have and at one time they probably stood on the same factory work bench.

(Peter found his set in Prague , mine turned up in Reading).

Edited by JSlisset
    Additional info.