erikscollectables

BMEWS and Thule Air base 1963-1965

At the moment I am working on a small series of blogs.They all concern the same person who worked (as a civilian) on several military contracts.

The first series will be about his life on Thule Air base 1963/65, Greenland, home of BMEWS - the Ballistic Missile Early Warning System.

Many previously unpublished photo's and materials from that period will appear in the blogs. After that a series will follow regarding his 5 years in Vietnam...

If interestes please read the blog:

https://erikscollectables.wordpress.com/2016/09/20/gerrits-travels-part-1-bmews-at-thule-air-base-greenland/

Hi Erik,

Very interesting blog.

I've had the opportunity to visit Thule Air Base on 6 or 7 occasions, sleeping there on my way to the Canadian military base in Alert, NWT. We always had a good laugh while in Thule when seeing the various signs saying "At the top of the world". Knowing that the next day we'd be flying 500 miles further north to Alert. Alert is the most northern permanently populated location in the world. Alert is truly "At the top of the world" being location approximately 500 miles from the North Pole. Here is a link to a map showing Thule and Alert. Here is the link: Alert+Map_Arx_1095.gif

Good luck with this very interesting blog.

Jean-Paul 

Hi Jean-Paul,

Sounds like even more extreme conditions there! What period was this and any photo's to share?

All the best, Erik

PS next episode probably on Saturday.

10 hours ago, erikscollectables said:

Hi Jean-Paul,

Sounds like even more extreme conditions there! What period was this and any photo's to share?

All the best, Erik

PS next episode probably on Saturday.

Hi Erik,

I was in Alert in 1972, 1976, 1980 and 1985. Each time for 6 months continuous. 

Yes, weather conditions are extreme. Sorry, no pictures to share.

Jean-Paul