News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Badge to a Hero of the Revolutionary Movement of 1917-1918

Hi all,

can anybody help me with this badge? Do you think it is authentic? I'm not too familiar with these but there are many variations as I understood.

Thanks in advance and I'm sorry for the poor quality pictures but they are the best I could get :-(

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I believe your badge is genuine, and one of many variations that were made at the time (check out Avers 8, page 444- 5 variations are shown and I've seen others). Silver plated brass and enamel, two layers, screw back with the owners name and award number engraved. Looks like they were only going to simply number the badge at first, then changed their minds and added the name- although that could have been done by the owner (many Soviet badges of that time were engraved in this way). Anyway, it's award #535 given to Vostrikov, Aleksandr Yakovlevich.

I don't like it. This is a rare badge which is widely faked. Check the size, it should be 54x43 mm.

Check here at the bottom http://www.sovietznak.ru/badge/398

I see difference between these two while they seem to be of the same type. Also note that enamels have been re-laid with the factory chimney and smoke covered. I don't like the engraving either, it does not look fluent enough and the "N" sign is non-typical.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all! I've contacted some Russian experts and they concur it's authentic. @Volovonok: there are (even) more variations than the ones shown on the websites you've posted. 

23 hours ago, USSR said:

@Volovonok: there are (even) more variations than the ones shown on the websites you've posted. 

Probably they are right, this kind of badges isn't my cup of tea. Though, what did they say about the enamels?

10 hours ago, paul wood said:

There are more variations to this badge than the number of women Rasputin appropriated. The fakes if anything often look too real.

Paul

Lol. That remark just made my day ;-)

• 2 years later...