News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Award coupon/pension book to a British Red Star Recipient

Just got this off eBay. I was kind of surprised I was the only bidder, but whatever (not complaining!) I've seen many of these for US recipients, but this is the first to a British recipient I've ever encountered. 

The date and value of this coupon book matches that of a March 1944 awarding of four Orders of the Red Star to British merchant marine recipients: Captain John Black, Senior Officer (Engineering) John Mammery, Senior Officer John A. S. Cook, and First Officer (Engineering) V. L. L. Laurie (the names are transliterated from Cyrillic...they might actually be different). So this belonged to one of those four men. It would be awesome to find out who it belonged to of the four!

It appears the coupons were used all the way through 1947 - until the Soviets discontinued the use of the award coupon pension. 

Thought you might all enjoy this!

Dave

9-26-2016 9-21-23 AM.jpg

9-26-2016 9-21-37 AM.jpg

9-26-2016 9-21-06 AM.jpg

11 hours ago, paul wood said:

I can discount Mummery as his Red Star was numbered 364373.

One down two to  go.

Paul

Hi Paul-

Thanks!

Any idea what his order book number is? That's the number that matches the one in the coupon book. 

Dave

• 3 months later...
    • 2 months later...

Nothing special on that page.

"On April 28, 1944, the following orders and medals were handed over for awarding (decree on March 20, 1944).

Unfortunately I do not know how to spell the name in English. Air Force Major V.A.Gittins ?

Thanks!

Yes...I'm thinking V. A. Gittins, but it could be a variant of that, depending on how they transliterated it into Cyrillic. The Air Marshal above him was Sanders, who was a pretty famous leader in the RAF during the war. I haven't been able to find Gittins yet though... 

Also, I think he was a Squadron Leader by rank instead of Major (his equivalent in the Soviet Air Force). So, Squadron Leader V. A. Gittins...

Well...that was an easy search!

I wonder if this document was one of the three mentioned in the auction and was misplaced?

3-30-2017 10-34-35 AM.jpg

And from the national library of Australia...

3-30-2017 10-38-05 AM.jpg