News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Canadian Tanker ID Bracelet

Thanks for the reply. I know what the enamel is a design of. Im looking more for the regiment and possibly info on the soldier. Also Im wondering if these ID bracelets were more so used by officers..... Sorry, Ishould have specified that in my original post

Speaking of the enamel... here's a better photo of it  

PhotoGrid_1474922448886.jpg

It's a larger size, fits my wrist. I've seen Canadian ID bracelets that have been field recovered before, one of them being on the show War Junk. Many of them look like this one, several without the "fancyness" I'm inclined to think that this is an actual ID bracelet and not a sweetheart, but I do welcome others opinions 

I agree that it is probably an ID, not a sweetheart.  Of course, bracletes were private purchase, so there were no rules as to form or size.

The serial number prefix 'B' means an enlistment from Military District 2, headquatrered in Toronto and extending up through central Ontario, so could be Ontario Reg't or one of the other central Canadian armoured units.  Or not: I'm not at all clear for WWII how much moving around recruits went through between basic training and assigment to their units.  

The serial number does not turn up in the CWGC list of casualties for 1939-1947.

Edited by peter monahan

I'm not sure how accessible WWII records are, as my Cdn interests are Great War, but the serial string may help.  In WWI, blocks of numbers were asigned to regiments and I assume the same was true in WWII, so the first few digits - probably first three- may ID the unit in which your man enlisted.  The Queen's York Rangers and GG's Horse Gurad were, I think, the only other MD2 armoured unit, as the 1st Husasar were London based [MD 1]

Good luck!