News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgian Badge Help Request

Good morning, gentlemen. I recently acquired some badges and one of them is causing me a problem. On the face of it, it shouldn`t have been a difficult task, but a couple of days` searching has come up with nothing. Any help or suggestions would be welcomed.

DSCN0266.JPG

DSCN0267.JPG

Well;

The 3 belgian para was raised in Kamina in 1955 (Congo) and took over the brown cap and insigna of the Korea vonlunteers.

The insigna is composed of the morning star that stands for the battle of 1302 (golden spurs battle) faught and won by the Flemish against the French.

The axe stands for the 600 Walloons (from Franchimont) killed by the French in 1468 at Liége.

The helmet stands for the crusades...

And the Belgion lion , is the Belgian lion...

There is a differance in insigna's, but need to seek that up again. My memory isn't that good anymore...

Found it!

Korean bat. insigna had 3 points or nails if you prefere, on the blade of the axe.

"  the morning star that stands for the battle of 1302 (golden spurs battle) faught and won by the Flemish against the French ...The axe stands for the 600 Walloons (from Franchimont) killed by the French in 1468 at Liége. "

And I thought the Irish had long memories!  An uncle of mine was reduced one winter to reading the 19th century records of his parish here in Canada and one letter to the pastor from a group of disgruntled parishioners assured him that they knew how to 'treasure a hurt'.  Thats' the Irish!  but, claerly, the Flemish are no slouches when it comes to harbouring ancient grudges either.  Fascinating info.  Thanks!