News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Grenzschutzkommando Schönsee

9 hours ago, dante said:

I have the chance of a WW1 Bavarian pass to Grenzschutzbataillon Heiss and Grenzschutzkommando Schönsee, cannot find any details on these units, welcome any thoughts, information 

Grenzschutzkommando Schönsee was the district headquarters of the border defense forces in Bavaria near the Czechoslovakian border from December 1918 until June 1919. Grenzschutzbataillon Heiss was commanded by Hauptmann Adolf Heiss, who joined the Bavarian Army in 1903, served in WWII and was made commander of Grenzschutzbataillon Heiss in December 1918. Grenzschutzbataillon Heiss became part of the Reichswehr in June 1919 and was garrisoned in Nürnberg as "Heimatschutzbataillon Heiss" as a security force when workers demonstrated on March 17, 1920 during the Kapp-Lüttwitz Putsch.

On October 11, 1920, Hauptmann Heiss transformed Heimatschutzbataillon Heiss into the paramilitary group, "Wehrverband Reichsflagge", which eventually reached a strength of 20,000. Heiss was pensioned from the Reichswehr in 1923. Heiss merged Wehrverband Reichsflagge with the Stahlhelm in 1927, when he was reactivated as a Major in the Reichswehr. Heiss was promoted to Oberstleutnant in 1939 and to Oberst in 1942. He was MIA on the Eastern front near Posen in January 1945.

Edited by bolewts58

Excellent and many thanks, I have also confirm his service on the Bavarian state archives on Ancestry, guess my question is, would you class these units as "Freikorps" or traditional "Border Guards" given their location on the Czech border

1 hour ago, dante said:

Excellent and many thanks, I have also confirm his service on the Bavarian state archives on Ancestry, guess my question is, would you class these units as "Freikorps" or traditional "Border Guards" given their location on the Czech border

Strictly speaking, it's not a Freikorps as it wasn't formed by Heiss, himself, but by the Reichswehr Oberkommando in Bavaria, with Heiss as an army captain being given its command. But, as it served during the Freikorps period, it falls into the realm of Freikorps and Freikorps collecting, much in the same way that Einwohnerwehren (Civil Defense Militias) fall under the umbrella of the Freikorps period, even though they were mostly government organized units.

Edited by bolewts58