News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Turkish War Medal

Gordon Williamson

• Replies 138
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick Research

Iyamwitchu, brudda. Although my heart WOULD go "pit-a-pat" faster at being able to clutch an undamaged JH Werner example (sadly, the Admiral's is cracked) for a less than ransom amount, no matter how fancy-schmancy, the TWM was the BOTTOM of the Turkish awards system, and UGLY as the tawdry, undersized, YUCKY Liakat Medals are,

a TWM is still Only A TWM...

so until people start paying proportional prices UP for Liakats, Imtiazs, and the two Orders with Sabers, TWMs have got to be more reasonable or I pass. (Name me a GERMAN decoration where the LOWEST class costs more than the same-issue's HIGHER grades?...)

Mostly I pass. "Market forces" aren't forcing ME, and what amounts most often to German recipients as a glorified WW1 campaign medal just isn't worth EK1+ prices to me.

I would love to have one of every variety. But ain'tagonna happen at current prices. So I "lose out," c'est la vie. I am notoriously a non-investor, so what something is "worth" to somebody else, doesn't mean the same to me. (Tamara obsession, et cetera...)

I'm just glad to be a Happy Time Traveller who got what I did when I did...

when The Past was "today." :rolleyes::cheeky:

"I'm just glad to be a Happy Time Traveller who got what I did when I did..."

A big AMEN to that brother. Thank goodness that I started 40 years ago. Today, I am down to collecting postcards and a shoulder board here and there. I'm afraid to tell my kids what this stuff is worth today (I want to stick around a few more years!).

:lol:

Chip

• 1 month later...

And this Waldeck and Hessen ribbon bar also features the TWM ribbon:

[attachmentid=17239]

[attachmentid=17240]

I think that your hessian bar might have this vice the TWM. The Hessian General Bravery Award.

Don

Don,

I considered that explanation but discounted it for the following reasons.

If the red and white ribbon were for the Hessisches Kriegsehrenzeichen, which from the award documents I have seen I understand was generally for services rendered on the home front, then it seems unlikely that it would be worn on the same bar as the other Hessen award, unless that were for a non-com grade of the Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen (e.g. for merit or faithful service) or the Milit?r-Sanit?ts-Kreuz worn on the blue ribbon for font-line service.

The Waldeck ribbon features a sword device, which also contradicts the non-com status for the Kriegsehrenzeichen.

Perhaps my conclusion is a bit simplistic, but the TWM seemed more logical to me. It also matches the following bar, which tempts me to identify it as a TWM:

IPB Image

David

• 3 weeks later...

The Hessian General Decoration (see post #84 above) came as both a "General Decoration" which would match up nicely with the Kriegsehrenzeichen from Hesse. It also came on the same ribbon as "General Bravery Decoration, or "Tapferkeits=Medaille" which could still pair up with either the KEZ, or the TWM!

My inclination on this one is that it is the Hesse piece..... the TWM ribbon is a visibly deeper shade of red in most cases. I'm also quite sure that there's no shortage of "close enough for gubmint" things that occur, so I think without documents, one will never be able to be 100% on this issue.

I would say that it is a Hesse piece as well, for combattants and non-combattants there are many possibilities for Hesse medals (long service, landwehr, Kriegsehrenzeichen...) and it would match that bar more than a turkish war medal... look at the bar attached.

Heiko

• 2 weeks later...

Joe,

of course it is a very beautiful TWM.... but for this price you will nearly get a cased Godet one!!! And this star was from Werner/Berlin, I have seen 5 or 6 from this maker in this quality during the last year, it is not too rare.... there are TWM`s with more rare makers out there.

For me this price is really crazy!!!

Heiko