News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Alfonso XIII

Bucky01

Hello Bucky01;

Do these Orders and Medals belong to the man in the photo?  Outstanding!  He must of had an interesting life being involved in the Cuban campaign of 1895-98.  Apparently, as a Cuban volunteer.  He was well decorated by Spain for his service.

Are they rare?  Individually, not so much.  But they are REALLY rare all together as a group belonging to a Cuban man's service to Spain before and during(?) the Spanish-American War. 

I can't make it out.  See if you can adjust the color and light settings to get a high contrast between the background and the writing. 

Then, maybe someone fluent in Spanish might be able to make out the name.

Is there any writing on the back of the photo?

10 minutes ago, Bucky01 said:

Have the info received "fondo blanco y gris" means "background white and gray"

It is the photographer's comments.  I was concerned that it might be something like that.  I recall what a another collector and researcher once said to me; "They didn't put their names on their photos because they know who they are.  They didn't to have a name on the back to tell them." 

Even if you could access the back of the photo, there is no guarantee that his name is back there.  It really gets back to tracking down the family that had it.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to inform you that all the medals can not be from the same man. 

The San Hermenegildo medal (Top first left) is a 1953 model.

The picture shows an early XX century uniform so only the other 3 medals can be from the man in the picture but as you know this is not a 100% sure.

Regarding the (fondo blanco y gris) are clearly the instructions to the framer.

Regards from Spain