News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help with Egyptian Khedive medal

Rusty Greaves

Dear Gregory, you have asked me this question about the value of this commemorative medal before. The few auction listings I have seen for this medal had prices between $(USD) 600-almost $5,000. One eBay offering in 2017 with minimal documentation was sold for $76!. Please do see my more correctly positioned information about this medal in my thread "Egyptian Khedive commemorative medal question" that I started on 11 November, 2016 in the "Middle East & Arab States" section here on GMIC. I am getting some additional information ready to post on that thread about background on the events commemorated by this Abbas Hilmi II medal. Thanks for your continued interest in this beautiful medal.

Edited by Rusty Greaves

Gregory, this Abbas Hilmi II medal is commemorative, simply issued to celebrate 2 events in the political life of Abbas Hilmi II. It was issued to ceommemorate his return from the pilgrimage (haj) to Al-Medina and Mecca that he took in 1909 (returning in January of 1910) and to celebrate the anniversary of his coronation in January of 1892. It appears the medal was struck in January of 1910. This medal was never awarded to anyone for any particular achievement, they may have been given as gifts or made available for purchase. I am unsure about that, I know very little about such "table medals". Again, please look at some of the other information that I have posted about this medal on the discussion I referenced (in the Middle East & Arab States section") in my last post here on Friday, February 28. 

Edited by Rusty Greaves