News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

King Ferdinand I's decorations

On 11/10/2017 at 20:42, Alex K said:

Interesting, I've located a picture which I think is the award, one question, the attached is un-enamelled, the above picture looks like his version is enamelled, is that likely or is it a trick of the light on the picture of him?

Golden Badge of the (Russi copy.JPG

Apologies for not replying sooner, I believe he's really wearing enameled - golden award.
    Here's a photo of one such example found here.
    1.thumb.jpg.580de73f2669b2fa3faeeb0bc605256a.jpg

On 6/18/2017 at 08:34, ilieff said:

12401865_863036397144521_1743372495458605596_o.jpg

12764795_10207052180157077_1762785737790297740_o.jpg

5833e6a2489cc_KniazFerdinandwithBraveryOrder.JPG.b2e45b47dbcf21f1dc229e131a372a15.jpg

Hey everyone, in regard to these pictures what exactly is Ferdinand wearing on the chain with the order of the tower and the sword? no 1 i didnt know that two seperate awards could ever be attached to the same chain but secondly what is it? it seems to be some sort of medallion combination commemorating both the order of Aviz and the order of Christ? So like 2/3rds of the shash of the three orders but on a chain? also why is it red and light blue rather than red and green if they are in fact the orders of Christ and of Aviz?

Thanks!

Dave Danner was so kind to post photos of an order just like that HERE with the following explanation:
    One of the rarest Portuguese decorations, the United Badge of Order of Christ and the Order of St. Benedict of Aviz, awarded to those who had already received the Order of Christ and the Order of St. Benedict of Aviz.
    Apart from that Combined Order of Christ,  Aviz and St. James of the Sword also exists.

Edited by paja

On 11/19/2016 at 14:56, ilieff said:

Hi all,

I am currently trying to assemble a full list of the decorations received by HM King Ferdinand I of Bulgaria. Unfortunately, my knowledge only covers Bulgarian decorations, so the majority of the 'foreign' ones are very blurry to me.

I'd appreciate your help with identifying more orders/medals which belonged to Him and/or improving the existent info by defining the particular class received.

Regards,

ilieff

PS:I've spotted a similar list on Wikipedia.org but I believe it's very inaccurate.

Bulgaria:
    - Order of SS Cyril and Methodius
    - Military Order "For Bravery"
    - Royal Order of St. Alexander
    - Order of Civil Metir
    - Order of Military Merit

German Empire
    - Order of the Black eagle
    - Order of the Red Eagle
    - Imperial Military order of the Iron cross
    - Pour le Merite (Military division)
    - Order of Saint John (Johanniter Order)
    - Saxe-Ernestine House order
    - Order of the Wendish Crown
    - Military Merit cross (Mecklenburg)

Austro-Hungarian Empire
    - Order of the Golden Fleece
    - Order of St. Stephan

British Empire
    - Order of the Bath
    - Royal Victorian Order

Russian Empire
    - Order of St. Andrew
    - Order of the White Eagle
    - Order of St. Vladimir
    - Order of St. Anna
    - Order of St. Stanislav

France
    - Order of the Legion of Honour

Ottoman Empire
    - Gallipoli star (Iron Crescent)

Kingdom of Italy
    - Order of the Holy Annunciation
    - Order of St Maurice and Lazarus
    - Constantine Military order of St George

Kingdom of Belgium
    - Order of Leopold

Kingdom of Portugal
    - Order of the Tower and Sword
    - Order of Aviz

Kingdom of Sweden
    - Order of the Seraphim

Kingdom of Denmark
    - Order of the White Elephant

Empire of Brazil
    - Order of the Rose

Other
    - Military order of St John of Jerusalem (Maltese order)
    - Order of Pope Pius IX

An image scanned from Schalafoff's book:

King's early bar 

ribbon_ferdinand_2.jpg

And a second scan from that very same album:

Second (later) bar which belonged to the King.

ribbon_ferdinand_1.jpg

Wow thats awesome. Do you know if other combined badges existed such as a combined aviz and st james badge or a combined Christ and st james badge? 

Also can anyone identify medal is in the tenth position on the older ribbon bar (white with red stripes between the order of agriculture and the order of the Southern Cross) or the medal in the 11th position on the newer ribbon bar (purple with thin blue and black stripes between the order of the wendish crown and the Lippe-Schaumburg Loyal service cross? 

Also can anyone identify medal is in the tenth position on the older ribbon bar (white with red stripes between the order of agriculture and the order of the Southern Cross) or the medal in the 11th position on the newer ribbon bar (purple with thin blue and black stripes between the order of the wendish crown and the Lippe Schaumburg Loyal Service Cross?

Edited by roberttheknight

I find this photo very interesting!

This is supposedly one of the last photos of Ferdinand, taken in exile in Koburg in 1941-42.

1. In position #1 - middle award on the left side looks like Cyril & Methodius star with diamonds. I don't think we ever saw this star before.

2. In position #2 is Cyril & Methodius cross with diamonds and precious stones, which looks exactly like the one currently for sale by a major dealer (photo attached).  

3. In position #3 is foreign award, which is attached to the Bulgarian style crown (of St Alexander order?), on the neck chain. I am not sure why he wears it in such manner, perhaps he lost cross of St Alexander and put foreign award in it's place.  Any ideas here?

Ferdinand_Awards_1941-42.jpg

Ferdinand_Awards_1941-42_CM.jpg

2 hours ago, paja said:

I believe #3 is the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George, looks like with brilliants, above #1 is its star. 

It looks like it, but why does it have Bulgarian crown on top?

It's certainly crown from St Alexander cross with diamonds on a foreign chain/collar and hanging from it is Cross of Constantinian Order.  

What exactly this construct is and why is old Ferdinand wearing it? I am sure he knows it's wrong... 

Ferdinand_Awards_1941-42_SA.jpg

Edited by new world

This is a very interesting photo. Not only does it show the previously unseen (?) bejeweled breast star of the St. Cyril and Methodius Order but it also serves as photographic evidence for the sash/collar badge currently on sale. Having never seen period pictures depicting such a badge in wear but instead only rather recent pictures of similar badges worn by the royal family, I had my doubts. 

22 minutes ago, roberttheknight said:

i also think three is the sacred military constantinian order. anyone have any idea what the small star is at the very bottom?

Besides the Bulgarian decorations (and the Golden Fleece) only Italian decorations can be seen in the photo. In it's design the star reminds me very much of the Tuscan Order of Saint Stephen's badge, although it's breast stars had a slightly different appearance. 

The cross, the fleur de lis and the stone in the center are identical, however.

12.jpg

Very nice!

Here are images of the orders you are enquiring. Unfortunately, I cannot say why the King decided to use a Bulgarian crown (if it is at all) between a foreign award and its chain. Perhaps the original crown wasn't jewelled, so was replaced with a jewelled one - or perhaps there wasn't a crown at all and it was added in.

It's hard to read King Ferdinand's mind - He has worn so many unique awards and combinations that it's impossible to keep track all of them. Similar is the case with his Legion d'honneur - as we know, He's been presented with a generic set (sold recently, I believe) but there is a photo of Him wearing an enamelled star from the Monarchy period instead. I am not too sure if that would be acceptable for the French republic, but these are the facts.

Yes - the jewelled St.St. Cyril and Methodius set - it is unique indeed, produced for the 30th anniversary of His reign, thus the star bears the corresponding years inscribed. King Simeon II has also worn this star on several occasions. Pictures do exist, too. Please note that the jewelled badge which is on online sale is not the one which belonged to the King.

The scans I provide are from Schalafoff's book, but they are also depicted in the earlier Prince Romanoff's book, where we can also see other variations of this high decorations, including enlarged breast stars (100mm).

Lastly, so far the only two decorations which I couldn't identify are the one Robert enquired and another Maltese-shaped cross of very crude shape, worn on most of the King's uniforms during ww1 (I showed a photo somewhere in the thread earlier). I am not too sure if the former is the Tuscan order, as suggested above, because it is clear that the enamel is white (or of very light colour), rather than red. I am prone to think that it's just a strangely designed Maltese order but I cannot find evidence or logic in this direction (yes, it does make sense for this to be an Italian-related award).

Thanks,

contantine.jpg

badge.jpg

star.jpg

Great Images, are the whereabouts of the king's bejeweled insignia known? 

In addition, if this is not the king's insignia, whose is it then? Where such badges awarded to high Bulgarian/ foreign nobility or are these simply later manufactured pieces for the royal family?

Obviously a variation of the Maltese order comes to mind, I suggested the Tuscan decoration, mainly, because of the central stone which I only recall on this decoration and not on any other. In addition there where a few special made pieces with a white surface. However, as said before the Tuscan breast star had a different design than the badge. 

4 hours ago, ilieff said:

Very nice!

Here are images of the orders you are enquiring. Unfortunately, I cannot say why the King decided to use a Bulgarian crown (if it is at all) between a foreign award and its chain. Perhaps the original crown wasn't jewelled, so was replaced with a jewelled one - or perhaps there wasn't a crown at all and it was added in.

It's hard to read King Ferdinand's mind - He has worn so many unique awards and combinations that it's impossible to keep track all of them. Similar is the case with his Legion d'honneur - as we know, He's been presented with a generic set (sold recently, I believe) but there is a photo of Him wearing an enamelled star from the Monarchy period instead. I am not too sure if that would be acceptable for the French republic, but these are the facts.

Yes - the jewelled St.St. Cyril and Methodius set - it is unique indeed, produced for the 30th anniversary of His reign, thus the star bears the corresponding years inscribed. King Simeon II has also worn this star on several occasions. Pictures do exist, too. Please note that the jewelled badge which is on online sale is not the one which belonged to the King.

The scans I provide are from Schalafoff's book, but they are also depicted in the earlier Prince Romanoff's book, where we can also see other variations of this high decorations, including enlarged breast stars (100mm).

Lastly, so far the only two decorations which I couldn't identify are the one Robert enquired and another Maltese-shaped cross of very crude shape, worn on most of the King's uniforms during ww1 (I showed a photo somewhere in the thread earlier). I am not too sure if the former is the Tuscan order, as suggested above, because it is clear that the enamel is white (or of very light colour), rather than red. I am prone to think that it's just a strangely designed Maltese order but I cannot find evidence or logic in this direction (yes, it does make sense for this to be an Italian-related award).

Thanks,

badge.jpg

star.jpg

Wow, that star is unbelievable!!! 

C&M cross for sale is clearly different from the one which belong to Ferdinand - the way the flames are made and the portraits of the saints, etc.

Still, there are some similarities, for example arms of the cross. These could be from the same jeweler, just made at different times.

9 hours ago, ilieff said:

Very nice!

Thanks,

contantine.jpg

badge.jpg

star.jpg

nice! What other breast Star is it that you couldn’t identify? I looked through the thread and couldn’t find it

15 hours ago, roberttheknight said:

What other breast Star is it that you couldn’t identify?

The Maltese cross on the below picture (circled). It's the same as shown on the uniform from post 27 in this thread.

3087.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ITALY, DUCHY OF PARMA. AN ORDER OF CONSTANTINE OF ST.GEORGE, GRAND CROSS STAR, C.1880. A finely toned star with rays interlaced by silver ribbing, gold centre with well executed red enamels, affixed by hour gold prongs, reverse with solid pin assembly, measuring 82 mm (w) x 82 mm (h)

Order Constantine.jpg

9 hours ago, new world said:

ITALY, DUCHY OF PARMA. AN ORDER OF CONSTANTINE OF ST.GEORGE, GRAND CROSS STAR, C.1880. A finely toned star with rays interlaced by silver ribbing, gold centre with well executed red enamels, affixed by hour gold prongs, reverse with solid pin assembly, measuring 82 mm (w) x 82 mm (h)

New World

I believe that this is a Bourbon-Two Sicilies Constantinian star rather than one of Parma. My understanding is that a Parma Constantinian cross has a lower case Omega. 

2 hours ago, Trooper_D said:

New World

I believe that this is a Bourbon-Two Sicilies Constantinian star rather than one of Parma. My understanding is that a Parma Constantinian cross has a lower case Omega. 

It's possible, I am not an expert in such awards, I just repeated what dealer who has this award for sale said.