News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Opinions on China medal?

Mark McM

Hello Mark McM;

I've looked at your photos of this medal though digital magnification.  I have to say that I don't like it.  This medal is known to be faked and some are from over 15 years ago (when I almost bought a bad one from e6ay).

To be specific, here are SOME of the features that lend to my conclusion.  On the reverse, there is that frequently seen squashed ose mint pressing.  But this one is irregular and looks spalded. 

Where the ose and medal meet, there is the area where the coin edging is washed down to form the ose.  On period medals the transition area is smooth and defined.  This one is rough and hammered. 

Again on the reverse, the crossed sword and rifle; the sword edges look uneven and crude.   

Generally when ones sees raised pimples, such as the two large ones on the obverse, or depressions in the fields or devices, "cast" should come to mind. Then it's time to dig out the magnifier and carefully check for other diagnostics. The extra metal on the integral loop is another tip off. In the last several years I've seen at least a dozen cast Russian China medals, mostly in silver. Fake Russian medals are ubiquitous. I now assume all are bad until very careful examination convinces me they are genuine. Buyer beware!

I would agree with Frank I now consider all Russian items to be fake until proved genuine and even when proved genuine if one so called Russian expert decides they are fake all the others follow like sheep and then brand it fake, also if a Russian buyer thinks he has paid too much for an item it also mysteriously becomes fake. I'm afraid it is a veritable minefield.

Paul

• 1 month later...