medalman90

How to find Al Valor Medal citations.

Hello everyone.  I've always have trouble navigating the Italian Gazzete, I'm trying to look up a Valore Medal in Bronze citation to  silvano gaiardoni for actions on Leros island (Greece) 1943. Thanks.

Thank you Claudio, I appreciate your help. Silvano was a very brave man! I do just have two questions about the citation.  What do "P.M." And "M.M." Stand for?

It just came in yesterday, here are some photos for reference. The box is just for the photo.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The medal seems a private replica, since I can't see the "Z" mark of the royal mint.

However, since the medal was given "sul campo", it CAN be the real one.

Furthermore, the official date for the medal is 1947, as you can see in my previous post. This means that the medal should have the Republican image, instead of the Savoia's arm. Quite often in these cases it was offered to the person to change the medal, and usually they refused, even in the case of having a true gold (republic) medal instead of a gilt (kingdom) one.

thanks Claudio, I had a feeling this was a "private purchase"/ engraved example. I know many veterans did this because they didn't want to ware the "real" ones. I dont remember where, but I thought I read somewhere that during the civil war some companies didn't put thier mint mark in the dies to prevent persecution. Is this true? 

Actually it is not a private purchase: the medal (probably) IS the one given to the men by his commander, simply there were not official mint medals for all. In this cases, the names on the back were written by the soldiers when at home. 

I have no news about your question.