News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Joe ,

The one shown above is an earlish one made when the wartime frames ran out and they still had good production standards , i.e. the core was still magnectic , painted before they put it in the frame and they bothered to burnish and frost the frame .

When the standards started to slip the hinge was also mounted lower down on the back and not near the top as shown on the example above .

So yes you can get one shown above or one using left over wartime parts .

Hello Joe ,

The one shown above is an earlish one made when the wartime frames ran out and they still had good production standards , i.e. the core was still magnectic , painted before they put it in the frame and they bothered to burnish and frost the frame .

When the standards started to slip the hinge was also mounted lower down on the back and not near the top as shown on the example above .

So yes you can get one shown above or one using left over wartime parts .

grant-

precisely the answer i was looking for in

spite of my rather poorly worded question!

thank you kindly for your perspective.

joe

How can you tell the difference between a left over and a new frame?

Usually the left over frames have the same characteristics as their WW2 brothers in that they have die flaws , burnisherd & frosted , same pin and hinge assembly and sometimes the makers mark .

When you have looked at these for a while you see the wartime production standard in the early versions start to slip to the very late stay bright glittery poorly defined horrors that came out last , it didn't happen overnight it was a gradual process from quality to crap that took around 25 years.

Later frames have very poor defenition to the ribbing and poor detail in general often with a slight gap between the 2 frames and on the last examples the EK1 often has a circle at the top of the frame where they would solder a ring to make an EK2 ( using the same front frame for the EK1 & EK2 to ease production ) .

You really need to handle a few of these to see the gradual deteriation of the quality going good to bad .