News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

African Short Sword

Abeche87

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 07:23, Chris Boonzaier said:

Hi,

I picked up a few similar ones in Tchad in 91, mine were a terrible quality.

Abeche, ooooohhh... my stomache has bad memories!abecheinfirmary.jpg

know what you mean, will never forget the stench of the meat section at the market there.

It certainly looks like copper, which must be afirly unusual, as even in a tourist piece it is odd to have a blade which clearly cannot be used.  Nice piece, though, and I'd agree it is probably Toureg.  I picked up two nice ones in Tchad or Burkina Faso [Haute Volta then] but lost one in a set of luggage on an airplane ride back to Nigeria.  My eldest daughter grabbed the other years ago to add to her 'blade' collectiion but it's a standard iron/steel blade with a wooden handle carved to look like an antelope horn and a lovely embossed leather scabbard.

On 1/20/2017 at 09:51, Michael Johnson said:

No allowance!

And when he got one he spent it on British shako plates of the Napoleonic period, which I believe still live in a shoe box in Casa Johnson.  Michael is 'canny wi' his sil'er', as the Scots say.  But then, he comes of Yorkshire stock, so no wonder! :rolleyes:

Just now, peter monahan said:

And when he got one he spent it on British shako plates of the Napoleonic period, which I believe still live in a shoe box in Casa Johnson.  Michael is 'canny wi' his sil'er', as the Scots say.  But then, he comes of Yorkshire stock, so no wonder! :rolleyes:

25 cents per week Grade 1 to 8; $5.00 grade 9 to 12; $10.00 grade 13.  No allowance in Uni.

Northumberland and Cumberland, Sir!  Not a Yorkie!

And sadly my shako for R.N.R. Scout Brigade of Fort George is Belgic.  If it were stovepipe, I'd put on my nice brass one, bought at Jack Shepherd's some 40 years or more ago.

Edited by Michael Johnson