News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

3 War USMC medal group

jonsey2001

This is  researchable. 

What makes this even more interesting is the American Defense Medal (1st one second row).  That means this guy was in prior to the Japanese Attack on Pearl Harbor.

You narrow it down for looking for units with two Battle Campaigns (not as common as you think)for the Asian-Pacific Theater Medal (5th Mini medal 1st Row)

Next I would start looking for USMC officers (with proper Age  [remember prior to Pearl Harbor] who were awarded the DFC in WWII and Korea.

Next you have a Curve Ball.  The NDSM without a Campaign Star.The NDSM was first authorized during Korea, however, this man had a Vietnam Campaign Medal w/ one Campaign Star, but no star on NDSM (he should have a star on it also).  This tells me he was in the early stages of Vietnam, but possibly not long (most likely a staff officer).  He is also missing the South Vietnam issued Campaign Medal (the green and white one).

Finally, you have an Air Medal, with no V's, so this man earned his for Strike Flights.

Would be interested in what you find.

I found this site - there were 120 or so DFS's awarded during WW2 to USMC aviators. This narrows it down some. 

Thanks again for the post 

I found this - I narrowed down the squadrons by eliminating the major campaigns like "Wake and Midway" and VMF-121 has 3 DFS recipients:

http://www.ntxe-news.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi?archive=23&num=38286&printer=1

Robert M. Baker - did find anything that he stayed in the service
    Kenneth M. Ford - got out and got marries after the war
    William B. Freeman - makes sense but his obit has a typo retire date '54 should read '64. And there is a V-5 pin that came with the lot.

Opinions?

Edited by jonsey2001
    add a link take 2

Probably Freeman. As I recall the NDSM star was not authorized for Vietnam/Berlin until 1965/66. The Vietnamese campaign star I thought was blanket awarded by the ROV after the Marines landed in 1965 -or maybe the Tonkin incident. Its in the Stars and Stripes somewhere