News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Baltic Air Policing Service Medal - now thats a great design

This one must be very new and seems to be instutited as a common medal from all three baltic states Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania as recognition for all NATO forces taking part in the baltic air policing. In my opinion the most beautiful campaign medal for years.

109BCD8C_5056_A318_A8B917FFE11F0D29.jpg

http://www.raf.mod.uk/raflossiemouth/newsweather/index.cfm?storyid=10A5273D-5056-A318-A85B6A91411E86B7

On 2/14/2017 at 23:28, Egorka said:

Why? Not round enough?

No, we have quite restrictive regulations on the wear of foreign awards.  If a Canadian award is given for the same reason, then any connected foreign one will NOT be allowed to be worn.  You cannot wear 2 medals awarded for the same reason such as a tour of operations, or two decorations for bravery...  Should one do an act of valour in a foreign country and be awarded a foreign decoration, the recipient would either receive the foreign decoration or the Canadian equivalent should that foreign country recommend it.

For example, the 1990-91 Gulf War, Canada produced and awarded a campaign medal.  All participants also received a Saudi and a Kuwaiti campaign medal but were NOT allowed to wear them contrary to EVERY OTHER allied nation there...  

Edited by TacHel

• 1 month later...

I'm just wondering where this ought to go on my website. It's not quite a NATO award, as it is conferred jointly by Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania... yet those 3 are not giving it to their own forces only to people there on NATO service.

So does it go in the NATO section? In the 3 baltic states' sections, or in those of the recipient nations (if I can find out all of who participated)?

Any thoughts?

To all,

I spoke to a chap who works in the Canadian military's section on conferring awards etc.  His explanation of why Canadians could not wear this medal is that it was not created by the governments of the tree countries but by the heads of their three military organizations. So in Canada it is not viewed as an official medal instituted by a country.

Regards,

Gordon